Chapter 21: A Promise Long Forgotten

Truth be told, little Nana couldn't exactly remember how long it was ago when she first met the half-Japanese-half-Filipino boy, but the one thing she could remember was that their first interaction was quite weird and awkward. 

"Shin-chan, why are we here again? Are we visiting Ran and Rindo today?" little Nana asked the older teen Sano boy in confusion, her grip on his hand tightened a bit as they were making their way towards an institution after a long bike ride.

"No, Nana-chan. We'll be visiting someone new today." Shinichiro replied with a wide, soft grin before giving her hand a gentle yet reassuring squeeze. "I'm sure you're gonna love him."

"Him? You mean a boy?" Nana questioned again to which Shinichiro simply nodded his head in response.

"The boy we're meeting today is Emma's older brother. Izana Kurokawa." Shinichiro stated and this caused Nana's eyes to widen in surprise.

"Oh? Do you mean the one she sometimes talks about...?" Nana asked.

"Yes. And also, Izana is only three years older than you. So, he's not too old." Shinichiro added.

"I see..." Nana trailed off, getting lost in her thoughts.

"Nana-chan, listen to me carefully..." Shinichiro spoke up again in a warm tone and in response, Nana looked back at him with curiosity. "The reason I brought you here today is that I wanted to introduce you to Izana so you can become friends with him."

"Become friends with this Izana person...? But why?" she asked again, getting more confused.

"Emma's mom abandoned Izana when he was only 7 years old – just like how she abandoned Emma. Izana's lonely and he doesn't have that many good friends. That's why I want you to become friends with him and fill up that void in his heart, Nana-chan." Shinichiro explained with a smile before placing a hand on top of her head, ruffling her raven locks. 

"Okay... If you're the one who's asking this, then it's fine. I'll become friends with this Izana person." Nana smiled back sheepishly in response, her cheeks turning pink in color.

Her beloved Shinichiro asked for a favor and she would reject the request...? Yeah, as if that was ever going to happen in any lifetime.

Shinichiro and Nana walked in and immediately went to the backyard where they noticed some kids watching them curiously but Nana didn't give much attention to them and started to look for this Izana Kurokawa kid. Shinichiro then guided her under a big tree and told her that they had to wait there for Izana to appear.

It didn't take that long when Nana noticed a boy, older than her by some years, rushing over towards them with a giant smile adorning the younger boy's face. However, his smile fell immediately when he saw Nana standing closely beside Shinichiro before an annoyed expression started to take over his face now.

"Huh? Who are you? And why are you with my Shinichiro-Nii?" the boy asked in an accusing tone, a hint of jealousy dripping from his voice as the boy frowned down at Nana - He was a bit taller than her with hair silver in color while possessing these beautiful big, purple eyes and a light brown complexion.

"Hello. My name is Nana Osaki. I'm Shin-chan's childhood friend and I live with him." Nana introduced herself in a calming tone as politely as possible.

"Childhood friend?!" Izana gasped out in surprise as he looked over at a sheepish-looking Shinichiro for a moment before glancing back at her. "So are you like a little sister to Shinichiro-Nii or something?"

What's his deal? Why is he being so possessive towards Shin-chan like this...? Not to mention the jealousy... 

"No. You're wrong. I'm not Shin-chan's little sister." Nana responded, getting herself also a bit confused.