14 ~ For You

"When are you available?"

Yuu glanced up at Azul from the sandwich she'd been eating, bringing a hand to cover her mouth. "What for?"

"I'd like to take you on a date."

She smiled at him, her heart beating faster at the thought of him contemplating taking her out since she'd brought it up. "Really, Azul, it's okay, you don't have to. I know you're busy! You said since it's exam season, a lot of people have been coming to you for contracts, so I know you're busy. Really, it's alright!"

"But I'd like to take you. It's not just to make you happy, but for my own benefit as well." He reached his hand across the table next to hers, his gold ring glinting. She moved her hand closer to his, connecting the hearts. Whenever she did that, Azul felt his heart flutter.

She swallowed the bite she was chewing and beamed brightly at him. "In that case, I'm usually free for about three hours after school ends, then I have to go to my club. I don't usually get back until late after that."

He pulled up his planning app on his phone and checked his schedule. "How would you feel about going on a midnight date next Saturday?"

"Midnight?"

"A stroll on the ocean floor, to be precise."

Yuu ran her thumb over Azul's ring, holding his hand gently in hers. "That sounds lovely. So, it's a date?"

Azul intertwined their fingers. "It's a date," he affirmed.

"I think it's adorable how you hardly wear gloves anymore so you can show off your ring~" Yuu spoke after a moment of silence, taking the last bite of her sandwich. "And you usually only wear silver jewelry, so it really pops out."

He squeezed her hand in his. "That's precisely why I enjoy wearing it like this instead of hiding it under my glove. It constantly reminds me of you."

"I have to up my flirting game, you're getting too good at this~"

"I'm only saying what's on my mind," he chuckled. "Which is another thing that I've improved at thanks to you, by the way."

"I know, I know, I'm just amazing," she drawled jokingly, squishing his cheek. "Hey, are you gonna transform back to your merman form on our date?"

"Absolutely not."

"Aw, why not~? I'd love to see you like that~"

"No, you wouldn't. And besides, I'm trying to erase that part of my identity. It's absolutely unsightly."

"Nothing about you's unsightly," Yuu said sternly, moving both of her hands to squeeze his cheeks as she typically did when trying to enforce something with him. "Every part of you is great!"

"You would think so, wouldn't you?" He twirled the ring on his hand around his finger. "Though I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that point, my dearest."

"I wish you could see yourself the way I do," she sighed, rising from her spot to throw her trash away and go to the bathroom.

'I don't really do much for Azul, do I..?'

Yuu found the thought hitting her as she washed her hands. He had done so much for her, from the couple rings to things like sending flowers to her room for no reason. He was constantly showering her with gifts, yet she never did anything for him besides that one time she baked him cookies.

Throughout the day, she was plagued with thoughts of what to possibly gift him with that would convey how much she loved him. She knew that he knew how much she cared for him, but she still wanted to get him a gift all the same. She wanted to spoil him, for once.

"You've been sighing all day, dear Trickster," Rook commented, taking a seat across from her on one of the Pomefiore lounge's purple couches and crossing his legs. "What ails you?"

"I'm trying to think of a gift to get Azul, but I don't wanna give him something basic like roses or anything like that." She held up a hand, showing off her ring. "He's constantly giving me gifts, and I wanna do something for him for once."

Rook hummed softly, observing the ring. "I see. So you're searching for a thoughtful present to express the vastness of your adoration for him?"

She nodded and he brought a knuckle to his chin thoughtfully. "Roi d'Effort will certainly be taken away by anything his beloved gifts him! Yet, hmm... he's fond of coins, is he not?"

"Yeah, he has a coin collection-wait! I think I have an idea! But... it might be kinda dumb..." Yuu brought a hand to cover her mouth as she sat in thought. "Then again, he did buy us couple rings, so he might not think it's corny... I think he might like it!"

Rook moved his hands to fold over his crossed legs, giving Yuu a kind smile. "Have I managed to be of help in your endeavors, Trickster?"

"Yes! Thank you, Rook!"