065 | MIYA ATSUMU

ONE SHOT IS TITLED: i told you so.

SUMMARY: showing up at your best friend's friend's christmas party in matching ugly christmas sweaters has your best friend's friend's boyfriend making assumptions about you and your best friend.

NOTE: happy birthday to the love of my life, my apple pie, my baby boy, my bee, my everything, MIYAAAAAA ATSUMU!!

You've never talked to Akaashi before. But maybe you did–share a couple of greetings in passing but that's just about it. He knows you as Atsumu's friend and you know him as Kotaro's quiet boyfriend. The familiarity ends there. There's nothing familiar to begin with, but suddenly he's taking the seat beside you on the couch like there's no other space he could insert himself into and hands over a spare red cup in his right hand. In return, you accept his offering, tipping your head back to chug the drink in one go.

His long fingers gently pry the cup out of your hand, setting it down right next to his shoes. A quiet surrounds you, one that scratches at your instincts to remove yourself out of this... whatever Akaashi's planning to do with you but you don't. More like you can't because he's staring akin to a scientist observing their guinea pig for an experiment.

It's your first time speaking to each other. One-on-one. A just you and him moment without your two idiots... Wait–did you just say your ?

Perhaps Akaashi's aware that he's no longer a recipient of your thoughts because he pulls you back in the living world with just five simple words.

"Atsumu likes you, you know." He tells you, sloshing the alcohol in his cup. One eye trailed on your ugly Christmas sweater and the other onto Atsumu, who's bickering with Kotaro across the room, clad in an equally ugly Christmas sweater.

"He doesn't like me." You bite back like you're speaking with Osamu and not Akaashi.

"Yeah," Akaashi continues with the flow of the conversation, snorting. "Keep telling yourself that."

And just like that he leaves you behind for Kotaro. It feels like you've been betrayed, coming up to you with his inquisitive gaze tearing you apart through skin, muscle, flesh and bones and then dropping a whole ass titanic boat with a knowing smirk on the side once Atsumu retires right next to you, never letting the seat next to you cold.

"What didja talk about?" Atsumu asks, throwing a hand behind your neck like it's where it belongs.

You don't answer him because Akaashi's voice still rings in your ear. Atsumu's naturally a very touchy person and you don't mind because you're friends. But thanks to his best friend's boyfriend messing up your system, you suddenly–somehow feel a little suffocated, uncomfortable that Atsumu thinks of you as more than what you both are right now.

All of a sudden all of his touches and the sweet things he'd do for you suddenly had a purpose aside from it being made out of platonic love. Your cheeks burn at the thought of every little embarrassing things you've shown him the past few months.

Like that one time you farted because you felt comfortable with him. Or when you used to send him your ugly pictures and videos in high school. What then of that lengthy chat message whining about your mother being unfair to you and basically ruining your life with her conservative mindset. And that–

You told him your ugly secrets, the thing you've never ever told anyone. You've confided in him. He's your wall, that one wall that always has ears but never talks back or judges you for whatever or whoever you truly are deep inside you're trying to hide in the deepest pits of your heart.

And Akaashi's trying to say that Atsumu Miya likes you? Still? After all that stuff?

"–Oi! Are 'ya even listenin' to me?"

You blink and nod instantly.

"M'kay," Atsumu squints through your lies, "'S a date then."

"Oh yeah, sure." You accept without any hesitation like he just asked you out on a date–

He pumps his fists proudly in the air, making pew pew noises accentuated by loud yeses. Atsumu leans down to press a kiss against your unsuspecting cheek, grinning like he'd just won the Olympics, "Thanks babe, I'll see 'ya later. Just gotta gloat to 'Samu real quick."

He leaves you riiiiiiiiiight there to process your thoughts. With Akaahi's interference from a short while ago still messing up your brain, you're quite unable to discern what just happened. Blinking three times has your elbows leaning against your thighs, fingers rubbing your temple like a Greek Sculpture.

Akaashi passes by you, with the intention of refilling his cup. You're sure that's just what he's going for when the living room's just behind the kitchen. But then you hear a choked gasp, followed by quiet laughter.

"I told you so."

NOTE: this is my half-assed attempt at trying to celebrate the miya's birthday. hope you like it!

(i got the idea from a prompt generator)

(p.s. i'll have an osamu one shot later)

am i back? i don't know... but i'll try my best to fulfill all the requests and the promised one shots i've announced in 064. i missed you guys soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!! it's kinda good to b back <3

CROSS POSTED ON ARCHIVE OF OUR OWN.