SPECIAL CHAPTER

Crush

This is insane. Is it even possible to fall for someone you've just met?

I must be out of my mind. Maybe I just find her unique. Her smile is bright and genuine. Her eyes speak of pure innocence. I met a lot of girls when I was in mid-school, but none of them piqued my interest. Of all people, why would someone like her disturb my life?

"Puwede ba kitang tawaging Puppy? Kasi 'di ba Kitten ang tawag mo sa 'kin? Para quits na tayong may pet name sa isa't isa."

I like the way she talks to me. It's as if I could listen to her all day. She's carefree and clever, like a kitten. I feel free and more alive whenever I am with her. It was odd, but she brings me extraordinary comfort every time she smiles at me.

"You like her, don't you?"

Timothy's question caught me off guard. I sighed and looked away. Napainom ako ng alak. Tinabihan niya ako sa terrace. Hindi ko man lang napansin ang paglapit niya. It seemed like the thought of Divine made me unaware of my surroundings.

"I just find her adorable," I mumbled, trying to convince myself.

Timothy grinned. "You can't hide anything from me, Kuya. You just got her name tattooed on your chest. If it's not love at first sight, what could it be?"

"Since when did you become interested in my feelings?" I hissed.

He laughed. "You even got scared because you thought she was drowning in the pool. Hindi mo ba alam na muntik na niyang makita 'yang tattoo mo? You should thank me for covering up for you."

I rested my hand on the railings. I couldn't help it. Akala ko talaga nalulunod siya. My protective instinct made me jump to the pool to save her. I didn't even mind I just had a fresh tattoo on my chest. She scared me to death, and it was the first time for me to feel that way toward a girl.

"Okay, fine. I have a crush on her, but that's just it. She's too young for me. I'm turning twenty-one, and how old is she? She's barely fifteen."

I blew a deep breath. I can't believe I even got a permanent ink of her name on my body. I couldn't think straight. Her smiling face keeps popping in my mind. It was too late for me to realize what I have done.

Well, I guess this could be something to remind me of her. She's the first one to make me feel inferior about my age and my looks. I feel like I'm not good enough for her, but I like to be with her.

"There is nothing wrong with your age, Kuya. You just met her too soon."

I was surprised to hear something like that from my younger brother. He's already indeed a grown-up.

"You were always rough around the edges. Since when did you become sensible?" I told him.

Uminom din siya. It's half past nine in the evening. I'm tired but I can't bring myself to sleep.

"I know about a lot of things. Hindi mo lang napapansin. You were always busy."

Dad has been training me to run the business. Lagi ko siyang sinasamahan sa mga meetings niya. Madalas ako pa ang nakikipag-usap sa mga potential investors. Mabuti na lang nakabalik kami rito sa Pilipinas kahit sandal lang. I also think I need a break.

"Tell me. Do you think she will also fall for someone like me?"

My brother laughed a little.

"You are not confident? First time 'yan. But, how about Shelley? Dad and his friend have been putting you up together. Huwag mong sabihing wala ka talagang feelings para sa kanya?"