Chapter 29

Day: 1217

Days Left: 4263

Lives Saved: 6

They continued to make the rounds, speaking to each marriage candidate, all becoming less arrogant than before after Prince Viggo's embarrassment. No one told of their musical talents; the princes that were musicians failed to come up with any other skills they could potentially boast and impress the queen.

"Your Majesty," Councillor Triggs hushed aside. "I highly recommend speaking with Prince Fiorenzo more than the others. His country has one of the world's largest and most formidable militaries. It would be best to be in his good favours, even if Your Majesty does not choose him."

"Ooh, yes!" Sophia squealed as she sighted him. "You can see his muscles through his shirt."

Queen Corinna rolled her eyes, reluctantly appeasing them both and approached Prince Fiorenzo, a tall man in a black mask with horns reminiscent of a rhinoceros beetle, which he was currently explaining to other princes that it was his nation's signature animal. The other princes laughed at such an idea that an insect was chosen to represent his country.

"It is one of the strongest creatures in the world!" Fiorenzo hissed. "Comparatively so to its body weight! They can lift 850 times their own weight! That would be like myself lifting thirty cars at once!"

They all went silent as they saw the queen approach.

"Your Majesty," said the chorus of princes, bowing deeply and each adding a flair to their bow in an attempt to outperform the others.

"Oh, my..." Sophia snapped her paper fan open, wafting in front of her face, hiding her lips that was already hiding behind her mask. "Well, aren't you a strong one?" She touched Prince Fiorenzo's arm for a brief moment and giggled.

"Uh, thank you, Your Highness," said the prince, though anyone could tell that he was uncomfortable but perhaps used to people checking his muscles.

"We forbid you to marry him," Queen Corinna said to her cousin telepathically.

"What! No, you said it too early," Sophia replied back, also telepathically. "I haven't done my speech!"

"We apologise. We thought you showed interest."

Sophia internally sighed. "I did, but not anymore. I've lost interest in him."

"But it has only been a few seconds after meeting-"

"But I can no longer do my speech! What would be the point? No, you can have this one, dear cousin. I am bored with him now."

Prince Fiorenzo looked around awkwardly as this conversation happened in the queen and duchess' minds.

Councillor Triggs cleared her throat. "May I present, Your Majesty, Prince Fiorenzo, soon-to-be General, so I hear?"

"Oh, a General?" asked Sophia. "You lead armies?"

"I will do so in the future, Your Highness," replied Prince Fiorenzo. "But I still have quite some training left to do. Though I am skilled with a sword and in marksmanship, I must learn to be a leader. Currently, I am in charge of a small company, but my mother, the queen, predicts I will be worthy enough in the coming years to be a General."

"Skilled in a sword, you say?" Sophia glanced at her cousin, then hushed, "are you going to upstage him too?"

"No, We shall spare this one," said the queen.

"Aw, pity." Sophia turned to the prince. "Do you reckon you could defeat all of the other princes in a duel?"

Fiorenzo hesitated, "I... uh, yes, I imagine I could defeat the majority; however I-"