Forty-Six

*please read the note at the end of the chapter ily

Sage Williams

"Can I have some?"

My eyes moved from my book to Rory who sat next to me with her feet crossed. The luxurious SUV was currently moving us toward the small airport that moved athletes to different states for sports. I furrowed my eyebrows until she motioned to my hand that was sitting inside of the box of extra cheddar goldfish.

I sheepishly smiled at her, unstuffing my hand out of the box and then giving it to her.

"Dad, how much longer?" I asked.

"Like five minutes, Sage." I chewed harshly on my cheek as he slammed on his brakes, honking the horn.

Rory looked over at me wide-eyed as he started to yell out curse words to another driver. I just got comfortable for the last minutes of the car ride. "Rory, have you ever been to Michigan?" Mom asked.

She swallowed a mouth full of goldfish before answering. "Nope! However, I did watch 8-mile movie with Eminem in it. My parents would let me watch one rated R movie for every single birthday after my thirteenth."

Mom's eyes crinkled at the sides as she laughed.

"You ain't missing nothing Rory. Just a bunch of bad drivers and–"

"You are half Michigander." Dad reminded me from the front seat. His eyes met Rory's in the rearview mirror. "Michigan is the best state in this country." He said.

I rolled my eyes, pulling the blanket in my lap up and over my head. I did not really want to come to this stupid away game but Dad guilt tripped me into going.

When I was younger it was a lot easier to get out of things because I just always reminded them that since they didn't have to show up for everything, like my science fair, then I shouldn't have to show up to everything either.

I refused to ride in the car for this long ass journey. I was meeting Uncle Reese at the airport and leaving with the team. My plus one was Rory. My parents were driving because they liked to explore.