chapter twenty two - owt ytnewt retpahc

He slid his scaly hands into the silk white gloves Romane had brought him. He buttoned up the long black suit, it sheathing over his rough chest.

A demon remained bowed at the carpet, holding out a tray. On top of that tray was the final piece, it completing the ultimate outfit.

He reached for the top hat and placed it on his head. The purple feather was tucked in the red ribbon that wrapped around the tall top, two cards slipped in the front.

"I think this hat would rather suit the occasion, don't you?" Lord Death said.

Romane stood silent, wearing a blue jacket that left his porcelain chest exposed. He was built as a soldier and Lord Death treated him nothing more.

"Yes, sir," he finally answered.

Lord Death drummed his gloved fingers across the snake skinned armrest and spoke, "Have you heard of the tale 'Alice in Wonderland, young man?"

Romane didn't miss a beat. "Yes, sir."

He hummed in approval and waved off the servant, keeping only Romane and him within the lair. The caved walls moaned, water dripping down from the ceiling and leaking onto the muddy ground that rumbled from the marching outside.

Lord Death stared down at him and said, "Everyone thinks it was Alice against the dragon, Alice against the queen, or Alice against herself. But no one ever thought about it being Alice against the Hatter."

Romane broke his impassive solider mask, and revealed an expression of puzzlement. "That is because the Hatter was her friend. The Hatter helped her."

His red lips curled into a dark, malicious smile. "Yes. And that is exactly what I am going to do. Help."

Poor Romane was confused, the mind of a genius not his own. "I do not understand, sir. She is the enemy. Why would you help her?"

Lord Death smiled bigger now, his fangs rubbing against his bottom lip. He ignored him and said, "Forget the first plan. We will initiate Plan White."

Romane seemed startled, almost taking a step back. "But sir-"

"That's an order," he said with a glare.

Romane shut his mouth and readjusted his jacket. "If we are to proceed with this change of plan, we must move fast." He slipped his hand into his dark blue trousers and checked the golden watch Lord Death had given him. The black needle ticked as every second passed; it was designed for a countdown. A countdown to the end. "Sir, if we proceed with this we will be behind schedule. We'd be late."

"How terrible," Lord Death said and he flicked his wrist. On instant, a demon lizard dragging its tail into the room, keeping its yellow piercing eyes down to hand Romane a tall metallic cup.

Romane lifted it to his nose, gave a sniff and held it back to his chest, understanding what it was. "Sir, are you sure you want to proceed? The guards must change their formation, and as general, I highly do not recommend this sudden change, for it will ruin-"

Lord Death rose off his chair and it took every willpower in Romane's bones not to move. "Do not question me," he snapped. "I know the weakness of your kind and her kind and I will use it. I want her broken, I want her shattered, I want her to be at mercy. I want to see her weep and vulnerable."

"Crazy people are already broken, sir," Romane said. "She secretly is, she may not show it but she is broken on the inside."

A harsh laugh scratched up Lord Death's throat. "She hasn't even begun to experience what it's like to be broken." He held Romane's gaze with a spark of mischief in his eyes. "She still feels. She still holds emotion. She's as sane as you, soldier."

"But sir, I've seen her too! She's crazy! She's absolutely mad!"

Lord Death picked the drink off of Romane's tiny fingers and swished the blood around the glass. "Oh sweet Alice." He lowered his gaze and through the rich juices of human life, he watched a vision of her soundlessly sleeping. Long dark lashes brushed her caramel coloured cheek, the side of her face resting on both of her hands. Her ink black hair was spread like crown above her head, spread across the pillow. "Sweet, sweet Alice," he said into the vision. "You've never seen true madness until you've met a Hatter."

+++

A/N: Short but I know exactly what to post next so expect another update this weekend! It's going to be really good, I promise! Thanks for the patience and the next one will make up for my absence! Promise :)

Hey, Plan White may break Alice. Who knows?

Vomment if you please

xx8tracks