Chapter 30

Day: 1217

Days Left: 4263

Lives Saved: 6

Resolved, Queen Corinna swapped with her golem doppelganger and forced herself to talk to each candidate before the party ended. Prince Fiorenzo and Princess Natasa's duel was still ongoing, and they had somehow moved it to the royal gardens; only a few bothered to watch, especially as both duelists were exhausted yet too stubborn to call it a draw.

The queen looked around the ballroom, catching sight of any candidates that she had yet to speak to; Councillor Triggs advised not to bother with them as their alliance would benefit the country little and were only invited out of courtesy, but Queen Corinna spoke to them nonetheless, most of them too scared to utter their own name. Even after the queen told them to relax, they only repeatedly apologised.

Then it finally came to Prince Elis, who was in the far corner of the ballroom alone, his fingers tapping on his arm nervously.

"May I introduce Your Majesty to..." Councillor Triggs scoured through her notes. "To..."

"Prince Elis," said the prince, bowing.

"Ah yes, my apologies," said Councillor Triggs, finally finding him in her database of marriage candidates. "Prince Elis is the twentieth in line to the throne-"

"Soon to be twenty-second in line," corrected the prince. "My older sister is having twins soon."

"Oh, do twins run in the family!" asked Sophia, then said aside to Queen Corinna, "you could have all your children in one go! Very convenient!"

"Yes, there are quite many twins in our family, and a set of triplets too," said Prince Elis. "However, having twins or other multi-births relies on the mother's genetics. I would not be able to father twins myself."

"You are not exactly selling yourself much, darling," said Sophia, noting his ill-fitting clothes.

"Oh, my apologies; I was just being honest." He cleared his throat and turned to the queen. "Well, not to brag, Your Majesty, but I can hold my breath underwater for two minutes without the aid of magic. And I can do the most impressive cartwheel you have ever seen!"

"Your Majesty," Councillor Triggs hushed aside to the queen. "I suggest we move on."

"We wish to see this 'impressive' cartwheel," said the queen.

Councilor Triggs and Sophia looked at her, the former in confusion and the latter amused, believing that her cousin was attempting to ridicule the prince.

Prince Elis himself was quiet for a moment, dumbfounded, then chuckled. "As Your Majesty wishes." He found an open space in the ballroom nearby and, as he promised, did a cartwheel, flourishing his arms afterwards like a professional gymnast, though in mockery. The other marriage candidates looked on in confusion, laughing or pitying the prince if he had to resort to cartwheels to impress the queen, as he was skilled in nothing else.

"That was indeed a cartwheel," said the queen, though she would perhaps not call it 'impressive'. Perhaps this was his plan, as he knew his chances; he did not mind doing something stupid for fun.

"As you can see, Your Majesty," he said as he returned to face her. "I have the necessary skill set to rule the country with you."

"How strong is your magical bloodline?" asked Councilor Triggs. Queen Corinna knew that the councillor already knew the answer written on the clipboard, but perhaps it was another way Triggs was attempting to move on to the next candidate.

"About average," replied Prince Elis, shrugging. "We're more known for our study in magic rather than our practice-"

"What's the use in studying something you cannot do?" asked Sophia.