Chapter two

"What the hell took so long?" I scold, grabbing the jacket from Daniel and placing it around myself. If I had to wait one more second, that nasty pig would've gone way further. The signal was supposed to come only five minutes after we entered the room.

Daniel scratches the back of his head,
"Sorry Amalie, your father's orders. He wanted to make sure security videos were completely off and that no one followed before we could grip in." Of course, he did. His name being untraceable was more important than his daughter's safety. Yet here I was, doing my all to prove myself to him, only looking forward for the praise I'm going to get for completing this mission. It's rather pathetic.

"It's fine." I answered back shortly, giving him a nod.
Daniel was the brains of the missions, he'd always sit in the van and follow every move. His job was to make sure that every mission went perfectly fine, he controls the entire team behind the scenes while also giving me the information I needed to get through every step.

He's also been my closest friend these last two years.

"Let's get you cleaned up," He says eying me up and down, "you look shit."
I breath out a laugh, "If you think I look like shit then you should see Archibald."
A smirk appears on his face as we enter the car, he loves doing this just as much as I do. Capturing men like Archibald, torturing them and getting one step closer to making the world a cleaner place.

My father didn't let us do these missions for the same reason we love them. He let us capture these men because they came in the way of his business, but for us it was a win-win situation. The day I can take over my father's place, I'll make sure to fully focus on wiping them out for the right reasons.

It doesn't take long before we're back in the mansion. I take quick shower and change clothes before I'm standing in front of my father's office, knocking and hoping he isn't too busy. 

"Come in Amalie"
I enter the office and find him standing there with a glass of scotch. He seems happy, which makes me happy because he's proud.
"Good job today kid." God, I hate when he calls me that. I'm twenty-three years old yet it seems like I'm always going to be a kid in his eyes.

He sees the displeased look on my face,
"Don't give me that look, you're always going to be the little girl who ran around in her Hannah Montana pjs, singing that song," He grumbles as he tries to remember the song,
"-The best of both worlds" I roll my eyes finishing the sentence for him.

He nods and waves his hands showing me his point.
"That girl would not have kicked Archibald's ass today father, or the dozen other men I've captured these last two years." I say, letting out a frustrated sigh. As long as he sees me as a kid, he'll never even be open to talk about me taking over the company when he retires.
"You did a great job today" He applauds, and a wave of satisfaction hits me. This will always be the best part with every mission.

"Thank you, it felt good to give that asshole what he deserved."
"Language!" he scolds, and I let out a chuckle. God, I feel like a five-year-old.
I wave my arms in defense and mutter a sorry. My eyes travel with him as he pours himself another glass of scotch, I hate seeing him drink that much. I push back the memories trying to play in my head and focus on the present.

"Have you heard?" Father asks, and a part of me is already aware of what he's talking about yet I shake my head, "about?"
He sits down on behind his desk, and waves me to the sit in front of him. I sit down and wait for him to speak. "They're back."

Of course, I've heard, everyone has. They disappeared for almost two years, everyone was sure their rule was over but it's never that easy. Speculations were made, people were wondering how the new gang was going to be, I thought for the longest time they'd be different. I was wrong, two years ago everything changed, and although we coped in different ways, they're coping mechanism was way worse. He got way worse.

"I know" I answer dryly, "it doesn't concern us. Their rule is mostly in New York, we're in London, it's two different worlds." I have no interest in caring about their business, I'd rather just forget everything, forget them and him. Pretend like we never met. The only time I visit New York is once a year, I've never seen him or them there.

"You're wrong kid," I look at my father with a confused expression. How was I wrong?
"They might rule in New York, but they concern us in every way possible."
"How?" I ask.
"Their connections, their new way of business, their actions. Everything they do can bite us in the arse, and therefor they have to be kept under control." I let out a breath and lean back in my chair, "Bruno Rodriguez has earned himself a reputation since he came back."

I cringe at the mention of his name but try to shrug it off before father notices. "Yeah, he has."

*FLASHBACK, 5 YEARS AGO*

God, this place is boring.

I thought turning eighteen was going to be fun, yet instead I'm in a bar alone trying drink my anger away. Yet another fight with father, "you know how it is." The same sentence every time I try to talk with him about the business. Being his only child and doing your best to be a part of his life is apparently not enough, because women can't rule in that type of business. Bollocks.

I've trained since I was sixteen, I can defend myself and fight three of his men at the same time now. He's barely on board to let me join the missions, and even if I do succeed it's still not good enough, but I'm going to prove him wrong, I'm going to show him that gender doesn't decide whether you're going to be a good leader or not. Watch me.

"You look like you could use another drink or two, muñeca"

I turn to the side and notice the man sitting next to me. He looks like he's in his early twenties, brown hair, light brown eyes and tanned skin. He was incredibly hot, but by the smirk on his face, I'd say he was fully aware of it.
"What makes you think that?" I ask, raising a brow.

He lets out a small laugh, and I notice that he has a dimple on his right cheek. Damn it, that's one of my weaknesses.
"I haven't decided between if it's the fact that you're sitting completely alone or that you look like you're thinking about twenty different ways to kill someone." He has an accent, I'd take a wild guess and say Hispanic origin. The accent makes him even hotter.

I look him in the eyes and say, "twenty-one ways actually."
He chuckles, finding it more funny than intimidating. Then he turns around tells the bartender to give us a refill. I'm not sure if I should be here, sitting with a complete stranger, yet there's no part of me that wants to move either.

He turns back to me, and points out his hand "I'm Bruno"
I look at his hand for a couple of seconds, it feels like he's challenging me in some sort of way. I never back down from a challenge.

"Amalie" I say back, and shake his hand with a confident smile on my face.

*End of flashback*

I turn my attention back when I see father pick up a folder,
"Anyhow, it doesn't matter right now. For now, I want you to be fully prepared for the Winter ball, it's coming up soon and there are going to be important men there. Some of them we need." I smile a vicious smile, the winter ball. We always grab the worst of the worst there, the highest profiles and the big dogs of the underworld.

"Do you know where it's going to be this year?" I ask, already imagining the entire scene from start to end.
"New York city."
Fuck.