Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Kaisen

By the time our trading was over with, Lily nor Wren weren't any where to be seen. As I quietly looked around almost in a panic, Micah placed a hand on my shoulder with a smile on his face. "I'm sure Wren took her to our house. We can go and see how they're doing to ease your worries." He smiled knowingly as I pursed my lips and looked away.

"Am I too obvious?" I asked as Micah led the way towards their house as he laughed.

"You really are, my friend. But, it's okay. I'm like that with Wren. She had a rough start when I found her but I'm glad the tribe is warming up to her now. She's like this small ray of sunshine who never knew how to love or be loved." He sighed with a smile on his face and an odd look in his eyes.

"I wonder if that's the look Mizail was talking about." I pointed out as Micah looked at me before laughing.

"It's the smitten by your mate look. You're so behind, my friend." He laughed as we crossed through the gate of his house before following up the path. "I'm hoping we'll have a little one soon." He added in all seriousness with a longing look on his face as I nodded, understanding that feeling. But, I wasn't going to rush that on Lily any time soon. I thought to myself as Micah opened the door while stepping in as I followed behind him. Before Micah could say anything, we heard his mate and what sounded like crying.

"We're done living in the past, Lilium. It's time to be happy." Wren sighed while patting my mate's back as she looked up at us before smiling softly. With that one smile, Micah was immediately pushing me back out the front door before quietly closing it as I looked at him, taken aback by his reaction. He stood there with his hand over his mouth with his eyes wide as I nudged him.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked as the feathers on his head started to slowly puff up. Was this his sign of blushing? I thought to myself as he looked up at me before standing up straight while brushing down his head feathers.

"Did you see my mate? That's the first time I've seen her that cute and that vulnerable. I didn't know how to react." He breathed out as his once professional attitude was completely gone before being replaced by the demeanor of a nervous youngling in love. "Oh my goddess. I don't know how to face her now." He started pacing back and fourth now as his head feathers poofed up again.

"You've never seen your mate vulnerable?" I asked as he glared in my direction without stopping his pacing.

"No, not even during the sacred ritual. She was this well composed guarded beauty having the time of her life." He breathed out as I nodded in understanding once again. Lilium was like that at first as well. "We're not like you and your mate yet." He explained while glaring at me as I raised my eyebrow at him in questioning.

"Not like me and my mate? How are we?" I asked as he looked at me like I was joking with him. "We haven't even performed the sacred ritual yet and you and Mizail keep saying that. What exactly do you two mean?" I asked again as he squinted his eyes at me before standing in front of me.

"You might not have performed the sacred ritual yet but you two could fool anybody with how close and loving you two are. Yeah, we've performed the becoming one but she's still very guarded but I'm determined to show her that it's safe. That I can protect her and our children." He explained with determination in his eyes as his mate stood behind him with the door open. I was curious whether or not she just heard what he said but my question was answered when her face turned a bright shade of red before she tapped his wings. As he turned to look at her, she hugged him while they stepped aside for Lily to come through.

"Are you okay?" I asked while caressing her cheek and staring into her puffy dark brown eyes as she smiled and nodded.

"I think I'm ready to go home." She smiled while leaning into my touch as I looked up at Micah who was kissing his mate.

"I guess we don't have to tell them we're leaving." I laughed while lacing our hands and guiding Lily back up the path and out the gate.

[~~~]

By the time we made it back home, it was dark and the fog had began to rise from the sand while the lights in the town shined brighter. Lily seemed slightly sluggish as she leaned back against me while Neau trotted back home. Once we were in the yard, I gently patted Lily's stomach as she hummed in reply. "We're home, Lily. I'm going to get down now." I whispered in her eyes as she nodded before leaning forward as I hopped off of Neau. Turning back, I gently pulled Lily off while carrying her around to the shop.

"This isn't the right direction." She mumbled while looking up at me through her half closed eyelids as I smiled.

"I know. I wanna give you your gift but you have to wake up for me." I explained as she rubbed her eyes before looking up at me, almost fully awake now. As I pushed the door open to my shop, I flicked the light on before gently placing Lily down on a stool as she watched me carefully. Quickly going over to my desk, I pulled the long rectangular box from its hiding place before making my way back to Lily. "Here you go." I smiled while placing it down on her lap as she looked from me to the box with pure curiosity before opening it with my help. As soon as her eyes fell on it, she quickly looked back up at me.

"Kaisen." She softly spoke as I pulled it out of the box before holding it out in front of her for a better view.

"It's taken me so long to finish this up but I wanted to have it done before we got back from trading. Here, try it out." I smiled as she quickly pulled off the top to her desert gear, leaving her in just her white cami. I gently held her right arm in my hand while sliding the device on with my other. "Let me make sure everything is connected properly." I told her while fixing a few things around her stub before kneeling in front of her. "It's all ready now. Give it a try." I smiled as Lily moved one mechanical finger at a time with wide eyes.

"Can I use my powers with it as well?" She asked as I nodded before she held up her mechanical hand as a flower slowly began to appear out of thin air. I was amazed at how it turned out as Lily happily clapped her hands together in excitement. "It's been so long since I've been able to actually use both of my hands. I would've never thought in a million years that I'd be able to." She explained while rubbing her nose with her left hand as the tears started rolling down her cheeks.

"It's okay, my beautiful mate." I smiled while wiping her tears as she stared down at me through watery eyes. "I'm glad you like your gift. I've had it in my thoughts for a while now." I explained as she pulled me into a hug while mumbling something under her breath that I couldn't quite catch. "What did you say?" I asked as she pulled back to look at me while wiping her nose again.

"You make it harder to not like you." She repeated without breaking eye contact as it took a second to register her words before my face heated up. "Are our feelings real or is it just the mate bond?" She asked in all seriousness as I gently held her face in my hands while rubbing her cheek with my thumb.

"Of course our feelings are real, Lily. The mate bond only brings us together but it's what's in our hearts that keeps us together. My love for you isn't just the mate bond. Lily, I love you for you. I love you for how excited you get. I love you for how nice you are to everyone you meet. I love you for how patient you are. I've spent my entire life waiting for you, my love and I'll do it all over again." I confessed as she started tearing up again before I kissed her while pushing her hood back to run my fingers through her curls.

"But, how can you love me? I'm this big girl with rolls and fat everywhere. I'm insecure and I have all of these problems. I'm only here on Sinniriel because I'm a prisoner. This was supposed to be punishment, I was supposed to die out there like the others. They said that I murdered my family, Kaisen! How could you love a murderer like me?" She asked through sobs as I just stared at her while wiping her tears away again.

"Lilium." I firmly stated as she looked at me through watery eyes. "I love you for you. You being dumped on Sinniriel was a blessing. A much needed blessing. I don't think you're a murderer, my love. I believe there is more to your story than what the others back on your planet thought. I'm willing to wait for you to tell me. I will not push you or rush you. I will be patient for only you." I smiled as she quietly wiped her nose again before I handed her a clean cloth from one of the nearby tables. "You also said you're a big girl and you mock your body but I love the way you are. I want you to see how beautiful you are. I will wait to show you how beautiful you are until you're ready." I kissed her again as she fisted her hand against my chest. "I love you so much, Lily."