Chapter 2: Four Marks

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

𝓣𝓲𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓲𝓪 de Vries welcomes me to Aretuza with open arms. Her dark hair is smoothly combed into a tight bun. The blue dress with its puffy shoulders and elongated collar do nothing to hide her rigid posture.

"Nessa, dear, it has been far too long since I last saw you."

I smile warmly towards her, "Tissaia, many greetings. I came bearing a gift."

She guides me through the dimly lit halls to her personal quarters, "Do I even wish to know?"

I chuckle and shake my head, silver-blonde locks shifting gently upon my shoulders, "Perhaps not, dear friend."

When the doors shut, she swivels to face me, lips pursed slightly. She says, "Well, out with it then."

I pull the basilisk egg from my purse and mutter the spell to enlarge it.

Tissaia's eyebrows curl into a scowl, "Why is it that whenever you deign to visit you bring trouble with you?"

I sigh and step closer to the Rectoress, "You know that some among your kind believe they should be protected. Those who raise them to be more than monsters cowering in the darkness."

Her expression grows taunt with frustration, "And you want me to deliver this to them?"

I shrug and flutter my eyelashes innocently, "Dearest Tissaia, I simply give the egg to you. Do what you will."

The mage sits at her desk with grace, though more forceful than necessary, "I have known you for many many moons - uncountable some would say. I see through your childish manipulations. Though, I will do this favor for you, as a friend."

I beam with gleeful delight as I gently place the egg onto the stone surface of her desk, "Many thanks."

She nods once and rests her elbows on the table, hands clasped. "However, there is something I request of you in exchange," Tissaia says.

"Of course, tell me what it is and consider it done."

The raven haired mage picks up a delicate bunch of white flowers, "There is one initiate that has recently joined the ranks here. She shows great potential, though the demons from her life thus far are holding her back. I want you to meet her and provide me with your input."

I raise an eyebrow, "Do you wish for a vision of her future?"

Tissaia shakes her head and waves a hand, "Nothing of the sort. I simply require your opinion."

"Then tell me more of her."

She twirls the flower throughout her monologue about Yennefer of Vengerberg.

When she's finished, I hum and stand. I gesture towards the door, "Very well. Take me to her, if you will."

My friend rises and guides me through the halls once more, despite both of us knowing that I have the layout of Aretuza memorized.

We arrive at a wooden door, bolted shut. I unlatch it with a large clack. Then without a word, I glide into the room.

The girl jerks, shoving her sleeves down quickly.

I shake my head as I move to sit on the chair at her bedside, "Do not hide your scars, Piglet. They are a mark of what you have survived and overcome."

My keen eyes study her - no judgment, simply analytical. Her raven hair falls to her crooked jaw. Straight bangs hide her forehead, drawing attention to vibrant purple irises. One shoulder juts up, back hunched naturally.