(Season 2) Chapter 12 God's Apostle

No one's POV

Noint flapped her silver wings. It was not to gain altitude, but to shoot a torrent of magically-enhanced feathers at her enemy. They cut through the air as they sped toward Sora, who was floating eight thousand meters up in the air.

 They cut through the air as they sped toward Sora, who was floating eight thousand meters up in the air

He created multiple light orbs and fired. Sora's bullet powered through Noint's feathers, shredding them. He had angled his single shot to cut through a swathe of the angel's projectiles. Then, he stepped into the hole he'd created, letting the rest of Noint's wall of feathers pass him by. In order to truly avoid your opponent's attacks, you needed the courage to step forward.

Aiko: Hyaaah!

A cute voice interrupted Sora and Noint's deathmatch. It seemed starkly out of place on this battlefield, where two powerful enemies were putting their lives on the line. The one who'd screamed so unceremoniously was, of course, Aiko. For the first time in her life, she was experiencing a mid-air dogfight. Though Noint fired feathers at the same rate Sora spat out light orbs bullets, he continued dodging each deluge by a hair's breadth.

Sora: Sensei! Stop screaming! You'll just bite your tongue!

Aiko: I can't just stop screaming on— Ah!? I-I bit my tongue...

Aiko ignored Sora's warning and instantly found herself regretting it. Tears sprang to her eyes, and not just because she'd bitten her tongue. Sora knew Aiko, who wasn't particularly strong physically, wouldn't be able to handle movements that were too sudden, which was why he'd continued using Riftwalk and tried to dodge with as little movement as possible. Unfortunately, even that required moving faster than a rollercoaster, and Aiko was already dizzy.

That being said, there weren't any alternatives. He could hardly just dump her somewhere. He couldn't ignore Noint's attacks for even a second, and even if he could have she'd have just targeted Aiko if he left her. As inconvenient as it was, fighting while holding Aiko was the only way to keep her safe.

Fortunately, he wouldn't have to keep this up for too much longer. A trustworthy ally was on her way. Sora shot down another wave of feathers with Kanshou, then turned to Aiko. She was clinging to him for dear life, and had her eyes shut tight.

Sora: Sensei, just hang on for a little longer. My comrades is coming here. She'll take you down to safety.

Aiko: O-Okay! B-But what about you, Yatagami!?

Sora: I still need to kill this emotionless puppet!

Aiko: Aww, I'm sorry I'm just a burden...

It frustrated Aiko that she was just dragging her student down. Sora didn't have time to reply. Instead, he hugged Aiko tight and did a backflip in mid-air. He watched as a blast of silver light passed just over him. It was the same mysterious skill that had disintegrated the tower Aiko had been confined to.

Aiko did her best not to scream as she was swung about wildly. As she was pressed up against Sora's chest, she noticed just how steady his heartbeat was. The fact that he was calm even in this situation helped ease her worries a little too.