Chapter 39 - The Autumn Ball

"Just five more minutes!" Marinette begged as she kept staring at her balcony with concerned eyes. She was sitting by the window - careful not to ruin her dress.

"Marinette, we have to go! We should have already been there! It's gonna start any moment now!" Alya glanced at the clock on the wall which minute hand was about to cross the number 12 - meaning that it was almost 8 pm. "Girl, come on! He won't come tonight either," she said with pity in her voice and opened the door behind her.

Letting out a resigned sigh, Mari stood up, took some steps away from the window, and - glancing one last time on her balcony - she exited her room with Alya.

They were walking through the galleries in complete silence. Marinette was staring at the floor while not even a single word left her lips. She had been in a bad mood for the whole week and the last thing she needed at that moment was to attend a ball among hundreds of members of the high society. She had already been in several events like this although she wasn't fond of them - to say the least - still, she had always pretended to enjoy them - as was expected from a princess. The only thing she used to be delighted about was wearing a ball gown instead of the everyday dress as at least this way, she felt more confident in herself and could really believe that she was the future queen of the Kingdom.

As usual, she was wearing one of the most gorgeous ball gowns created by the famous royal designer, Madame Bourgeois. She was the Princess's designer ever since Mari was born and always made sure to make the Princess the most beautiful one - among hundreds of ladies - for the grand events. As always, Audrey did her best with tonight's dress as well. Knowing the importance of this ball, she chose the colors of the Princess' gown to match the season's colors while still making it look simple but elegant as she was well aware of the Princess's discomfort in excessively extravagant dresses.

Keeping that in mind, she designed her gown just by mainly focusing on the harmony of the colors - including the Royal rose symbols as the most important part of the dress

Keeping that in mind, she designed her gown just by mainly focusing on the harmony of the colors - including the Royal rose symbols as the most important part of the dress. And at the end of the day, she was proud of her creation which she knew would be the perfect gown for this significant event aka the Autumn Ball.

The Autumn Ball. One of the most grandiose events of the year in the French Kingdom. It was held always in the middle of October when the season's unique, magnificent features reached every part of Paris - painting the streets and squares with its warm, vivid colors. This time the King always holds a ball for the prestigious members of the French nobility - including several quests from other nations as well. The event was first created to celebrate the successful year before them - both for the diplomatic and economic benefits, they have gained throughout the months and to strengthen the political arrangements and alliances between the Kingdoms.

But in reality, it was nothing but a party where the high society could show each other and the whole world how much their fortune had grown and for everyone to envy them.