Chapter 32

Day: 1228

Days Left: 4252

Lives Saved: 6

With his undefeatable egotism, O'Sullivan had rallied his peons to abandon their perfectly safe camp with all the food and water they needed and headed to the nearby sector. But, unfortunately, this nearby sector was occupied by a large group, all with powerful masks. They were titled the Kings of the Abyss, despite not ruling over anything but the resources in their sector... and O'Sullivan believed that he could beat them and gain everything for himself.

After packing, the group set off, guided reluctantly by Henry, who seemed to be the only person believing that this was a terrible idea. However, O'Sullivan was set on this ambition, believing that Henry's knowledge would guarantee their victory, and his followers possessed an unhealthy level of devotion and trust in their leader.

It took a week to trek to the next sector, the dry and cracked sand turning into grassland and short trees. Unlike any human realm, these trees would occasionally glow and sprout another branch instantly, completing all of their growth within short bursts rather than prolonged moments like anything else would. This strange phenomenon created numerous situations of branches snapping and tripping someone up or knocking them out.

"Where should we set up camp, darling?" Karina asked O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan looked to Henry.

"Uh..." Henry glanced around.

"Show him the map, Karina," O'Sullivan sighed.

Begrudgingly, Karina approached Henry and showed him the map he had drawn in his notebook.

After Henry indicated an area, Karina snatched the notebook away and stored it in her jacket pocket.

With his guidance, Henry led his captors to where they could safely set up camp and prepare for 'victory' against the Kings of the Abyss. Whilst tents were pitched, Henry was tied to a tree with Nia close by in her glass lantern, one of the hyenas standing guard. Henry had hoped it would be Terra this time; he didn't know why he kept on wanting to speak to her. On the journey here, he could hear her enthuse the food they could get. She was just as brainwashed as the others; Terra did not appear to show pity or sympathy with Henry and Nia being prisoners; no one did. They all truly trusted O'Sullivan to the point that they would go on this suicide mission.

No, the only thing that drove Henry to want to talk to Terra was to tell her the truth, that she used to be Fern and had escaped, only to be thrown back down here. The guilt of that knowledge was getting worse with each passing day, but he never had the opportunity to tell her.

But perhaps he should focus on escaping with Nia.

"We'll attack after the blood moon when they are at their most vulnerable!" called out O'Sullivan to his gathered followers. "And then what we deserve shall be ours!"

Henry scoffed, listening from the tree that he was still tied to. What do they deserve?

O'Sullivan raised his cyclops mask. "With this gift, we shall make this world ours!"

A jet of green liquid sprayed above the canopy and descended into clumps of pellets. O'Sullivan jolted to the side for cover as it rained down, the liquid burning and eroding the skin of all who were hit.

Karina screeched as a large splat landed on her leg. She tried to brush it off with her jacket sleeve, but it merely destroyed the material.

"Stop screaming and fight back!" yelled O'Sullivan as he donned his mask.

His panicking followers all calmed down with just their leader's words and transformed, taking on the stampede of monsters that charged through their camp.