Singing to Him (SS)

Introduction:
The Wizarding War is over, and Severus Snape is in a coma. Y/N Y/L/N takes care of him. Will he ever wake up again?

This is a request from an anonymous on Tumblr. Thank you for your request!

I hope you enjoy!

Published: 10/11/2022 ———————————————

Word count: 984
Warning: Angst, someone being in a coma and mentions of snake attack

It's been a few months since Voldemort was defeated by the Boy Who Lived. Ever since then, everybody has been happy. Or almost everybody.

That night, Voldemort ordered his snake Nagini to kill Severus Snape as he believed that Severus was the master of the Elder Wand. How wrong he was.

Thankfully, the Trio - Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley found him and made sure he got help as he was still breathing. Their quick action saved him. Well, at least for now.

Ever since that night, the former Potions Master has been in a coma. Only a few people visit him - Poppy Pomfrey, the new Headmistress Minerva McGonagall and another one of his colleagues named Y/N Y/L/N.

Y/N visits him every single night, helping Poppy take care of him if she needs help. When no one else is there, she talks to him while holding his hand. She has no idea if he can even hear her, but she talks to him anyway - talking about her day, about the school being rebuilt, about how he's a hero to everyone. She rambles on about everything and nothing, hoping he will wake up soon.

"Please, Severus... We need you! I need you..." she whispers to him with tears in her eyes. She doesn't want him to die... Especially not after all he has been through.

After a few nights of talking to him, she decides that perhaps he wants something else rather than her rambling on. She wants him to know that she's still there and waiting for him to wake up, so she decides to sing to him. At first she hums a few melodies, songs that her mother taught her. She ends up singing them, giving him a private concert. She's not being loud or dramatic, just singing a few nice and comforting songs to him.

As months pass by with her talking and singing to him, holding his hand and taking care of him, she sighs. "Severus, please... Wake up. We all miss you so much. I miss your voice and your sarcastic remarks... I miss seeing the way you roll your eyes at people... I miss the way you walk with your cloak billowing behind you... I miss you, you handsome dunderhead!" she groans.

When she realises what she just called him, she widens her eyes. "I- Did I say that? I mean..." she trails off, taking a deep breath.

"I'm sure you can't hear me anyway, so I'll just admit it to the thin air... I like you, Severus Snape. Romantically, I mean. I have for a while... And I'll never be able to tell you if you never wake up" she says, sniffing.

She gives his hand a gentle squeeze, letting him know that she's here. She's surprised when she feels his hand squeeze back.

"What-?" she whispers in disbelief, looking at the man lying down. Suddenly, Severus' eyes slowly open. He groans as the light is way too bright.

Y/N smiles. "Severus... You are awake! Oh, thank Merlin!" she exclaims as she hugs him tightly.

He rolls his eyes. "If you are trying to kill me... then you might succeed if you keep hugging me that tightly" he snorts.

Giving an apologetic look, she slowly lets go of him.

"And for the record... I like you too" he mutters, so quietly that she almost didn't hear him.

Y/N almost chokes on air. "W-what?" she stammers, sure that she heard wrong.

He once again rolls his eyes. "I said that I want to adopt Potter... I'm confessing my love to you, Y/N" he states.

She chuckles. "I can't even imagine you and Potter having a civil conversation together. Also... Does that mean you heard everything I said while you were in a coma?" she questions, her cheeks a bit red.

He smirks. "I did. So you think I'm a handsome dunderhead, huh? Well, I think you are a beautiful woman whom I want to spend the rest of my life with" he declares as he gently grabs her hand before kissing it.

Despite her cheeks turning redder and redder, Y/N smiles at him.

"Also, you have a beautiful singing voice" he mutters against her hand.

She barely gets to respond as Minerva and Poppy enter the Hospital Wing.

"Severus! You are awake!" Minerva exclaims, smiling.

"And you are kissing Y/N's hand... You were supposed to kiss her cheek! I guess you won this round, Minerva" Poppy says as she huffs, handing the Headmistress a few Galleons.

Minerva smirks. "I always win, Poppy. Just ask Albus' portrait" she simply says, putting away the Galleons.

Y/N and Severus stare at them. Poppy chuckles. "Don't look so surprised. We have known for a while that you two like each other, the only question was how you would admit it... And it was supposed to be with a kiss to the cheek" she explains as she crosses her arms.

Minerva chuckles as well. "Better luck next time. We are so glad that you are back, Severus! Come on, Poppy. Let's leave these two lovebirds alone" she states as she grabs Poppy's arm before the two of them leave.

Once they are alone, Severus and Y/N laugh. "Betting about us... How silly" she says, giggling.

"Indeed... Well, maybe Poppy was right... Maybe a kiss to the cheek is in order" he states as he gently places his lips on her left cheek, giving a loving kiss.

Blushing once more, Y/N looks into his eyes. "Perhaps on the lips, too?" she innocently suggests.

Smirking, Severus captures her lips with his own as they share their first of many kisses.

Severus Snape survived the war and woke up from his coma. Y/N was beside him all these months and accidentally confessed her feelings to him. Well, it was good that she did.
———————————————

Author's note:
The next one shot "The Full Moon" (werewolf! SS) will be published on 10/23/2022!