Chapter 15 | L's feelings

You'd think with the entire internet in his mind, L wouldn't be able to be bored. But he was, waiting for you to get home from work.

He'd done his share of the household chores, and wasn't sure what to do now. He'd read his books, he didn't find anything interesting on TV, he didn't have anything to do. So when there was a knock on the door he was happy to answer and get some entertainment.

Opening the door, he was met with Misa and Rem sitting on her shoulder.

"Hi L! I know (y/n) is at work right now but I made wayyyyy too many cupcakes. I figured I'd bring some over!" Misa smiled.

She held a big container, full of decorated cupcakes. They were iced with purple icing and had little bag sprinkles on them, right up her gothic alley.

"(Y/n) likes cupcakes! They'll like them, thank you Misa-Chan!" L smiled, letting her in.

Misa put the container down on the kitchen counter, and took one of your sticky notes from your desk to write a little 'here have some cupcakes' note for you.

"Heard you were the one that surged the power the other day, you're seriously powerful huh?" Misa said.

"L made oopsy... computer to powerful. Had to be plugged into the main power source" L admitted.

"I was a bit confused when my hair dryer stopped working suddenly. But at least the power wasn't totally broken and came back on. Has (y/n) found out any more information on you?"

The photo that Near sent you of the chobit that looked like L was put up on the fridge, where to it been sticking things that gave you clues so you could try and put the puzzle together. L pointed at it, and Misa gasped when she saw it.

"No way! That looks just like you! Is it a prototype picture?" She asked.

"Not me. It must be another one like me, Near found it" L replied.

"See I told you N was an expert on this stuff. That's crazy, you must be a chobit then. But even so who made you and why did they toss you..? Still so many questions"

L was just as curious as you were at this point. Especially after that strange dream he had with the lookalike persacom. The more he looked at the picture, the more he began to think the lookalike on his dream was the same one as in the picture.

Maybe he should tell you about that dream, maybe it meant something...

That dream was still fresh in his mind, there was so much he didn't understand. But the part about love, that was the part that stood out the most. It made him wonder...

"Does... Rem love Misa?" L asked.

"Hm? Oh, I mean I think so. Rem you love me right?" Misa replied.

"I do love you Misa, you made me after all. You're my owner and the one who keeps me alive and functional" Rem replied.

"Aw thanks! I'm pretty fond of you too. I mean I made you, why wouldn't I be?"

L could tell that the love Rem had for Misa was different from the one he had for you. She was grateful to Misa for making her and taking care of her, and Misa was happy to have her little helper she worked so hard on. It was a sweet love, but not the same kind he had for you. Rem and Misa were like companions, a duo, partners in crime.

You and L were... well, he didn't know. But he loved you, and you said you loved him too. But he wasn't sure if you loved him as a helper, a persacom that does things for their owner. Or if you loved him the same way he loved you.

"Hmm... love is funny..." L muttered.

"It's pretty incredible you understand love and all the different ways to love so deeply. Your AI must be one hell of a force to be reckoned with" Misa complimented.

"Love has lots of types. Like a mother and their child, best friends, an owner and their puppy, and a soulmate and their partner. My book made me understand the differences"

Misa gave L an intrigued look, why the sudden interest in love? Unless he was feeling it, and because he was still new to the world having been re-set and tuned back on only recently, still coming to understand his feelings.

"Do you love (y/n)?" Misa asked.

L nodded, without hesitation. He didn't even need to think on it, he loved you and he'd made up his mind on that.

"L loves (y/n). When they're happy it makes L happy, and they always help me and take care of me. It's lonely when they're at work and I'm still home..." L explained.

Misa could hardly believe her ears. She knew L could feel emotions to a certain degree, his AI understood that smiling means happy, crying means sad and all the basics. The kind of thing you could program into any persacom.

But the way he knew how loneliness felt, and how he was happy when he saw you happy, the way he understood all the different kinds of love. Such complex emotions where something no persacom should be able to understand with their limited function as a piece of technology and not a living, breathing human. And yet... L felt them. He understood them.

"L... are you in love with (y/n)?" Misa asked.

"In... love?" L questioned.

"Do you feel warm and fuzzy when they're around? Want to be near them all the time? Kiss them?"

L thought for a moment, soft electric whirling coming from his computer as he processed the words and put meaning to them.

"L wants to cuddle with (y/n)... and kiss them goodnight. Hold hands when we walk to the shops and smile when they do..." he admitted.

Misa was just absolutely flabbergasted. L was in love. L, a persacom, a chobit, was in love. He could feel one of the most complex human emotions even though he was made of wires and hard drives. There was no doubt about it, he was a chobits. No other persacom was that complex and detailed they could feel emotions.

It was like the soul of a human had been put into a robot, and L was created.

"That's... incredible..." Misa muttered.

"L can only be a chobit if he feels emotions like that" Rem added.

"I know, he has to be. L you are incredible, make sure you tell (y/n) this when they get back ok? I'm sure they'd love to hear just how amazing you are. And I'm sure they'd love to give you a big cuddle"

L smiled, he liked the sound of a big cuddle. There was just something very comforting about when you held him close to you, protecting him from the world that was out to steal his code and design.

"(Y/n) will know as soon as they get home!" L said.

As much as Misa wanted to be there to see it happen, she had things to do. So with that mind blowing conversation she said goodbye and went back up to her apartment to clean up the mess of making cupcakes. But she just couldn't believe how human L was, if he didn't have those ear ports she'd believe he was human. She and Rem cleaned up the kitchen, and she couldn't take her mind off it as she wiped the benches down.

"You're the luckiest person alive (y/n)..."