||Rumour||

A/N: Heyy guys, here's another update! The next chapter will be their reunion so hang in there. I've missed them a lot, I can't lie 😭

Enjoyy

~

I paced back and forth in the greenhouse, my mind reeling after the conversation with my mate

I paced back and forth in the greenhouse, my mind reeling after the conversation with my mate. It was the first time I moved from my sitting position in the corner, and I only did so knowing that I had finally lulled her to sleep.

It was selfish of me to feel at a loss once the link went silent; I wasn't allowed to feel alone—I wasn't allowed to cry.

I was passing by the glass-encased room when I heard her call out to me. I could still feel the tremble in my knees from when they buckled at the sound of her voice.

Self-hatred pooled within my chest as I listened to her speak to me. I recognized the slight quiver that shook her words even while she insisted that everything was fine and that she was okay.

"Fuck!"

I pulled at my hair in frustration and swiped the wetness from my eyes, angry that I kept allowing myself to succumb to weak emotions when this was my fault.

Get your fucking shit together. If you can't handle yourself or this situation, I will deal with it myself.

I snarled as Bael surfaced, his voice like nails scraping against my head.

Don't threaten me; you haven't been of any fucking use. What good are you to me if you can't even track down your soul-bonded mate.

My chest rumbled with a growl that wasn't my own.

Looking for someone to blame won't make you feel better, and it sure as fuck won't bring her back. All you've been doing is wasting time.

Wasting time? How the hell have I been wasting time when all I've been doing is trying to get her back?!

Bael scoffed as if what I said was the furthest from the truth.

What you've been doing is losing control—you're irrational and completely unhinged. I'm no better but at least I'm aware of it. You're going to do more harm than good to our mate in this state.

This time it was me who growled. I turned to find the nearest thing I could hit and ended up swiping a tray of potted plants to the floor, soil and broken clay littering my surroundings.

You're proving my point. Bael seethed over my heavy breathing. We haven't slept since the sun fell and she's about to rise again. It's putting me on edge, and you aren't helping the matter. Go to sleep. We'll leave in the morning.

My nostrils flared at the demand, but deep down I knew that everything he was saying was right.

"I'm not sleeping in that bed." I muttered to myself after a moment.