chapter 47

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." - Flannery O'Connor

47.

There was no way Josh and I could journey back to our pack safely considering our weakened, wolfless states and that too paired with our lack of awareness about our surroundings.

After contemplating for a while, we decided that it was in our best interest to stay. Our lives were threatened in both situations so might as well risk it to get some answers while we're at it.

Outside, the sun had broken forth triumphantly, illuminating the entire sky with its golden rays which meant that it had been a few hours since Braden left us to ourselves.

Josh was currently sleeping soundly on the couch, his light snores filling the entire place. The speed at which his body was recovering was slow but he was, nonetheless, healing and right then, there was nothing in the world that could make me happier.

Thank Goddess.

It was also getting increasingly hard for me to wait around for Braden while not knowing what kind of threats lurked outside.

I couldn't even sit because the moment I did, the unsettling feeling in my stomach and my intrusive thoughts would have me in a chokehold.

The best I could do was pace around the small area and keep my thoughts concerned with Josh's health while ignoring everything else at the same time.

I couldn't risk resting my eyes either as I had to keep watch. My entire body ached and my eyes burned in protest.

In an attempt to distract myself from the pain, my thoughts trailed back to my family.

How were they faring in my absence?

I knew that without my wolf I couldn't mind-link but I tried anyways and failed several times.

Beta Jonathan must be blaming himself for listening to me and letting me venture out all alone without guards when he knew the risks. I could only pray that my kidnapping hadn't taken a devastating toll on my father, not when he just came back to us.

And Ethan, he must be-

Before I could complete my thought, a sickening amount of pain overtook my entire abdomen. A groan escaped my lips as I doubled over, bracing myself against the wall. This pain was intense, a spasm that took over and left me unable to think let alone stand until it went away.

Everything hurt. Every damn thing.

I was positive that the bastard James must have broken a rib or two.

Somehow, I managed to wobble my way towards the bathroom even when my legs didn't felt like my own.

After taking a few deep breaths to calm myself down, I washed my face with cold water then looked up at the mirror.

For an instant, my mind refused to recognize the haunted and hollow eyes that stared back at them. My right cheek was swollen, and my nose was definitely broken. Raising my shirt up, I was greeted with the sight of a plethora of hideous, purple-black bruises.

Closing my eyes, I rested my forehead against the mirror and muttered out a plea to my wolf, "Come on, Your Highness, come back to me... I need you."

A few more hours passed but there was no sign of Braden, my wolf or anyone else.

Josh had woken up an hour ago and had his wounds redressed by me. At present, I was trying to force him to eat.

There wasn't anything in the cabins which had not yet passed its expiry date except for a can of tomato soup so that was the only thing on the menu for him.