nine.

"hey, matt." chris shakes him. matt wakes up, seeing chris's somber look.

"hey, what's wrong? when did i fall asleep?" he asks, noticing he was in his bed. he could have sworn he was driving away from evelyn's house five minutes ago. what the actual hell is going on.

"matt, evie's gone." chris says. matt shoots up, giving chris a look of disbelief. 

"no." he says. he starts getting out of bed. he quickly puts on a shirt over his pajama pants and he races down the stairs. "no, no, no." he puts his dirty airforces that she gave him on his feet and sprints toward the car. 

"matt!" chris stops him. "you're not driving. not like this." he takes the keys from matt's hand. "i'll drive." he pushes past matt and gets into the drivers seat. matt doesn't even think about how illegal this is. he just needs to get to her house as soon as possible. chris drives exceptionally well, so they didn't have to worry about anything. 

the two were at evelyn's within a second. nick was already there with elle and rory.

"matt, holy fuck." nick rushes over, engulfing his clueless brother in a hug. "i'm so sorry, matt. she was already gone by the time we got here."

"no." was all matt said, pushing nick away. "no, this can't be true. she told me that she would see me tomorrow. today. she told me she would see me today." he starts to sob. rory and elle walk towards him, rory holding another note. she holds it out to him.

"she gave this to me last night, but i don't know what it is." she explains

"she told us to give you this note whenever she..." elle trails off as she sees matt's expression.

"you guys knew." was all he said. "you knew she was going to fucking die." he turned to nick and chris, his eyes bloodshot. "did you guys know too?" he asks. matt didn't even wait for their answers before scoffing. "fuck you guys." was all he said before walking back towards the car.

"matt, wait." nick stops him this time. "read the note. please."

"i'll read it at home."

"read it now, matt."

matt sighs before opening the note. he recognizes evie's handwriting. his evie.

dear matt,

i know you're probably mad at me. i would be too. i should've told you about the additional damage that i had left from the accident. 

but i didn't want to worry you. you came by today and after we talked, you went home so happy that i got all my memory back that i didn't have the heart to tell you that was the last time i would see you.

thank you for everything. for the late night phone calls, the deep conversations, and the lockets and pictures and memories. thank you for being the one i could turn to when i was stuck and lost and couldn't remember you. you fucking rewatched marvel for me because you didn't want to remind me that you hated it since you saw me so excited for something.

i love you more than words, matt. and i hope you could forgive me soon.

i'm sorry. goodbye, mattyb.

love,

your evie.

PS, it's not your fucking fault. so don't go blaming yourself because i WILL rise from the dead to put you in place.

matt was at a loss for words. he couldn't believe it. his evelyn, the light of his life, his most favorite person in the world, was gone.

he felt the world stop. he could barely breathe. he could feel himself slipping away from reality as his sobs drowned the sound of his friends yelling his name.

matt.

matt.

matt.

mattyb.

"MATT WAKE UP."

maha speaks

morning