Chapter 63: Pool of Blood

Trigger warning: violence, blood

Chapter 63: Pool of Blood

It was still early morning. I was sitting uncomfortably in the train while staring outside, the unfamiliar surrounding flashing before my eyes. Alexander and I were both silent since we left Van Zanth.

I wasn't able to say goodbye to the senior staff in the apothecary. The only thought in my head was the desire to fix things up so I could finally go back home.

Home.

Van Zanth indeed became the place that I could call home with people waiting for me to come back. All my life I never had that... a place I couldn't wait to go back to.

"Are you worried?"

I turned to Alexander sitting opposite from me in the train booth. Breakfast was served earlier but both of us barely touch our food. "A bit," I mumbled, returning my gaze to the window, staring at the passing woods outside the train tracks.

I admit, I'm scared of the situation I'm going to face now that we've traced where the contract took place... in my very own hometown, the place that supposed to protect me.

"Nasabi ko na sa kanilang alpha ang pagdating natin," muling sabi ni Alexander. "He promised he'll help us tidy up this mess given that it happened in his territory."

The last statement lingered in my head. Had he known about this kind of incident or were we the first people who informed him? Umiling ako sa naisip. Their alpha must have no idea it was happening in his own territory.

We arrived in the town of Grassco by noon. I was restless the entire train ride. I wasn't able to eat or rest even though the trip took the entire morning.

A car and a driver was waiting for us outside the station. The driver informed us that it was prepared by the alpha not to inconvenience us further. Maybe it was because it's been raining since we've arrived in town.

Inside the car, I tried to remember if we've received the same treatment the first time Alexander and I visited the place. We had a pleasant trip that time, visiting my old home and where my parents rested. But I had no chance to know where the alpha or the other hybrids in the area were residing.

The car passed by unfamiliar terrain blanketed by the rain. The sight somehow calmed the unsteady anxious beating in my chest. We drove away from the downtown and residential houses. We must be heading to their alpha's residence.

Bumaling ako kay Alexander na tahimik na nakaupo sa tabi ko sa backseat. Napansin ko na bahagyang nakakunot ang kanyang noo na tila maging siya hindi pamilyar sa daan na aming tinatahak.

We've arrived in a road lined with trees, muting the sound and drops of rain, until we reached what seemed to be a compound of cabins and cottages in the middle of the forest. It must be their headquarters. I've seen the same sight whenever I visit the orders' headquarters in Van Zanth.

The car stopped at the muddy driveway. Two orders immediately approached us with wide black umbrellas to protect us from the rain. Without much introduction, we were led inside one of the largest building in the compound. It was the first time I was seeing hybrids in this town.

"Please head to the alpha's office," instructed by one of the orders to Alexander.

I turned to my brother. Is he the only one needed?

"I need my sister with me," he stated.

"She will be guided to the drawing room upon arrival so she can rest," the second order informed us. "The subject matter regarding this case is sensitive."