39. "We need to talk."

Chapter Thirty Nine

Elena's POV

"Good morning, Miss Pallis," everyone greeted me with smiling faces, the moment I stepped out of my limousine and entered the main door of the Pallis Center Building–a 100 stories, and one of the tallest office buildings in Manhattan.

Yes. I owned the building, I inherited it from my grandpa, as well as all the buildings inside the Pallis Business Center.

I walked confidently in a red business suit, tailored to perfection, as I walked at the lobby. My executive secretary, personal assistant, and adviser, trailing behind me, informing me about my itinerary of the day.

"You have a board meeting at ten a.m., a lunch meeting with Senator Johnson at 12 noon," my personal assistant enumerated, "a dentist's appointment at 2, meeting with the department heads at 3:30 pm, suppliers' meeting at 5, then dinner with Mr. Firth at 7:30 pm."

"The contracts to expand steel warehouses in the Philippines and India, are already on your table, maám. They are ready for your signatures," my executive secretary said, "an international TV network would like to interview you..."

I waved my hand, "I don't have time for that. I'm very busy right now."

"Good morning, Miss Pallis," the receptionists greeted me with bright smiling faces.

Everyone was smiling, from the guards, janitors, rank and files to the officers, managers and heads. I assumed they were all happy to see me taking over the Pallis group of companies. Gone was the iron-handed management of Constantine Pallis.

Talking of Grandpa, he was still in the rehabilitation center, recovering. His stroke that happened two months ago, made half of his body paralyzed. He could not talk, as well as managed his own self-care–eating, pooping, bathing, etc. It confined him in his bed and under care of the caregivers.

"E... ye... ya... am... ack..." he tried to talk to me, but I could not understand him. Yeah, I visited him, as often as I could.

He was like a child, his eyes lit up whenever he saw me. I admit, I like him better now. Gone was the aristocratic ruthless Constantine Pallis that I hated and became a soft meek and kind grandpa. He had the patience to listen to me, to everything I said to him. From my anger about Adonis... to him, for allowing the arranged marriage, telling him the latest about Mom's illness, the business deals that I closed, and other random stuff.

He had no choice but to listen. But I also told him I forgive him for everything. I wished he would recover sooner because I needed him to help run the company.

"Good morning, Miss Pallis," another employee greeted, bringing my mind back to the present. I nodded, to greet.

We entered my private elevator and headed up to my office. It was the biggest office and at the 100th floor. It was Grandpa's previous office, but I had it renovated. Changing the paint colors from dull and gloomy to bright. The furniture and ornaments, from vintage to modern designs. Everything became pleasing in the eye.

On the same floor, were offices of my very trusted employees who helped me run the Pallis Group of Companies. They were my lawyers, advisers, consultants, executive secretary and personal assistant.

The last two months happened too fast. When Grandpa's health deteriorated, it executed the terms of his will immediately–to transfer all his assets, properties and businesses to me, as his sole heiress.

I set aside my pain from the divorce. I allowed myself to be numbed from that situation. Instead, I focused on my extra responsibility - running a vast group of companies.