10 | lightning struck

CAMERON CAME BACK WITH AN ARMY

I was in the middle of a furious coding session when the bell chimed again, and I thought Tuesday and her mom had come back early. However, many people entered the shop with curious looks, like they were in a freaking museum.

Then, I saw Cam talking to an elderly, and when our eyes met, I knew what was going on: payback. As a crowd lined the place, I got up with a sigh and took my place behind the counter.

I wasn't going to let Cameron win.

"Hi, Gerald," I welcomed my first customer. I stepped aside so he could view the menu, but he'd already decided about his order.

"Caramel..." He paused with a frown. "Caramel something." He turned back and asked Cam what the drink was called. Caramel macchiato — of course, he brought them all to order caramel fucking macchiato.

Cam joined us with a wide smile that boiled up my anger and put his hand on Gerald's shoulder. "Caramel macchiato," he said with delight.

"Size?" I asked Gerald.

"The smallest one, please," he replied hesitantly.

"Are you sure you want caramel macchiato, Gerald?" I asked, picking up a small cup. "I can make you something softer like a latte — just coffee with milk? Would you like that?"

Gerald looked between Cam and me like he was a kid caught between two parents. I wondered what Cam told him. Caramel macchiato was too much sugar for this old man. He seemed to give in to my idea at last. "I'd love that, Amber, thank you."

"Got it," I said, taking his payment and heading to prepare his drink.

After taking care of five customers, I'd actually gotten the hang of it. All I had to do was take orders and prepare the drinks with the help of Tues's cheat sheet — the tricky part was Cameron, standing by the counter with each customer like both their tour guide and advocate. He complained about the slow service, and the quality of coffee, though the customers themselves didn't seem to mind either of them.