𝙏𝙒𝙊 𝙒𝙀𝙀𝙆 𝙇𝘼𝙏𝙀𝙍

Tonight's the last night if you want to see any of them. Don't let them leave without a goodbye, don't be The Heartless Hurricane. - Maverick

Lilah frowned at the message on her phone as she slipped on her dressing robe, shuffling her feet into her soft wool-lined slippers. Even though it was almost spring now, the chill of Miramar morning's seeped into her bedroom.

As if to prove her point, Ziggy, the black Labrador puppy Bradley had bought Jamie laid in the bed, curled up tightly beside the latter. And as equally exhausted as him, apparently. The lab didn't bother to crack open an eye as Lilah scratched its ear.

Lilah threw the blankets back over Bradley's naked body, smiling down at him when he didn't so much as stir.

Slowly, Lilah had been returning to work. Office work, which is what she hated the most. Bradley hated it equally, but he'd been doing as much of it as he could if it meant moving his deployment date back.

Sticking out her tongue at him, she turned from their bed and strode for the door that led onto the porch and the stretch of waves beyond. Her morning ritual— climb out of bed, breath in the brisk air, and run.

Oh, how running had helped her. The doctor hadn't been able to object, seeing as there was nothing wrong with her legs anymore.

She ran miles upon miles, never stopping, never letting herself pause long enough to breath in a real breath. Stopping meant a wandering mind, it meant no pain, and physical pain she craved.

She sat down on the couch just week's before had been where she'd sent Bradley after kicking him out. Now, he took his rightful place on his side of the bed. It's always been his, ever since he'd kissed her for the first time. She curled her bare legs to her chest, resting her chin gently on her kneecap.

"Bradley," she called, her fingers digging into the skin of her palm.

From the rustle of sheets, she knew he was instantly awake. Stalking toward her, even as he shoved on his shorts.

But Lilah didn't turn as he rushed onto the porch. He was immediately in front of her, putting a protective hand on the side of her head, brushing a loose curl out of her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Bradley twined his fingers in hers.

Lilah felt hot tears spring to her eyes. "Tonight's the night. They're all leaving."

Lilah wept then. Bradley held her tightly, rocking back and forth.

★★★

Bradley knew this day would be hard for her.

For all of them, who had become so close these weeks.

Yet, the day after Lilah's promotion, here they all were. This time not to celebrate, but to say farewell.

Lilah had begged them all to stay last night. To stay just a few weeks longer. Bradley knew she'd been aware her request was unlikely to be granted.

Everyone but Natasha had declined without second thought. Bradley knew Lilah understood, it was their life, just as it was there.

Five had already left. Halo, Fritz, Harvard, Yale, and Omaha had all said their goodbyes the day before. She knew that Coyote was due to leave that night. She'd gotten the papers earlier that week.

She got all of their paper's.

She approved every single one of them for a new mission. She's signed her name on every single one of them. She hadn't even hesitated, and she hated herself for it. They had all been through so much, and now it was her job to send them back out there.