Chapter 134: End of The Founding Ball pt. 4

"Your Highness!"

"Your Highness, Crown Prince! What is the situation outside?"

"Is everything alright, your highness?"

Ahh... Ezekiel had returned.

The royal faction who were discussing the situation with themselves ever since earlier had come forward as soon as Ezekiel appeared. After all, the emperor confirmed that Ezekiel was with the knights that went to check up on that explosion.

Ezekiel seemed to be surprised from being hogged all of a sudden when he just arrived. His face mirrored it all and it was hilarious. Seeing him break character like that... Heh~

Anyway, Ezekiel hushed them down which they immediately did so they could listen to whatever he's going to report. He turned towards the swarm of people expectantly waiting for some clarification. His usual smile was back, and those who saw it felt optimistic, but not me.

When he's like that, it's either he is lying or it is a bother for him.

"There was no attack. The fireworks that are supposed to be used later for the celebration caught fire and exploded. Good thing that it got handled right away. The people involved are already detained for questions," Ezekiel announced, "Though it's such a pity that we won't be able to see any fireworks display later. But I hope everyone could be at ease now," he added.

He is definitely lying.

Fireworks? What a bald-faced lie.

Well, if it meant that the people won't have to worry, I guess that he's just doing his job. Still, it made me speculate about it. Those shockwaves are too intense for it to be a failed fireworks job. The ground won't rumble like that, right? And the fluctuations in the air... what was that?

Is it really an attack then?

The nobility bought it. Maybe deep in their minds, they too are in doubt but don't want to dwell in it. That is why they are very accepting of Ezekiel's lie. They don't even want to question it! I mean, yeah, questioning a royal is not a good thing to do but... whatever I guess.

If it makes them sleep peacefully tonight then they can choose to ignore it.

"Even so, the atmosphere had already broken. I'm sure that all of you are quite exhausted now. This is why I am proposing for Emperor father to end the ball," Ezekiel suggested with a cheery expression on his face which looks fake as hell to me, by the way.

'Oof-- He's doing it.'

Emperor Kael stared at Ezekiel for a moment, "Fine. The well-being of the citizens is of priority. To compensate for tonight, the ball would be extended for two more nights. I then, therefore, concluded this ball and wished everyone a safe journey."

There were no second opinions, nor negative feedback. The nobles just silently sucked it up and heeded the Emperor's declaration. I guess they are also in favor of it that's why they never opposed it or at least tried to because opposing a royal is a heavy crime in itself.

"So the night just ended like that huh..." Gwen commented as she sighed.

She looked relieved nonetheless, both her and Bea.

"I know right. And with a bang..." I seconded with a straight face.

There was a short pause before I heard both Bea and Gwen snorted.

"Pfft-- what the hell Nadia?" Gwen voiced out as she tried to stifle her laugh.

"With a bang... pfft--" this time it was Bea.

Oh come one, that wasn't even that funny! They sure have a dry sense of humor...

I slowly shook my head and glanced at the two women who tagged along with us. They were both stiffly standing there behind us, and when they saw me looking, jolted in surprise.

'Heehh? Why are they so tense?'

Gwen and Bea must have noticed them just now and gazed at the two as well, making them more nervous than before. Seriously... what's up with them?

I mused to myself for a moment before coming up with an answer.

Ah, that is right. Beatriz is a candidate for the Crown Princess, so she's a pretty big deal and the rest of us are self-explanatory.

I'm not saying that because I'm too lazy to explain, not at all... That's not the issue here, okay?

"Do you two have a ride home?" I inquired after a while.

"U-umm... I came here with a carriage," Estelle answered rather timidly.

"Me too!" Her friend seconded.

I know that because I was the one who arranged for a carriage to be sent to the Forester household. That is the reason why she was late to come to the party, I set it all up. Of course, it was also done anonymously and there's a lot of money at play.

I got to thank Adele for that anyway. She was the one who complied with all my whims. She's such a great person!

"Then I wish the two of you a safe journey," I said while smiling at them warmly.

I got to say goodbye here on out because we have no more reason to be together anymore. I have done my part on protecting them and as much as I want to get acquainted with Estelle, it was also not in my best interest.

You see, I don't think it's a good idea to force my existence on hers. I have meddled for too much already, forcing the way of things to go astray. I'm not even helping her in her current predicament at all. Instead, I kept fvcking it up for her.

Just like that scene with Lukas. It is pretty obvious that she was about to profess to him or something like that, but I ruined it! Her ticket to salvation and I screwed it. Or that time when she and my brother met, or there might be even more that I'm not aware of! This is why I better stay away from now on... or this will just go on for ages.

Well, all I can do for them right now is to pray for their well-being until they get home safely. I'm pretty sure the people I hired will definitely make sure of that so maybe I don't have to worry.

"Thank you for everything, Lady Nadia," Estelle uttered with utmost sincerity as she bowed deeply for me.

It made me fluster, obviously. What she just did was the deepest sign of gratitude for someone to do. It's like the equivalent or above than that of groveling under your feet. I was slightly embarrassed because there were a lot of witnesses. Even so, Estelle did not even hesitate for a moment.

"I-It's fine! Stop doing that..." I muttered, clearing my throat.

Estelle raised her head and beamed at me. It was so bright that it almost made me close my eyes.

'Geezus...'

Every main character of the novel sure is flashy! They all sparkle!

"I hope to repay your kindness someday," Estelle added and made one last bow before she and her friend left with the other nobles who are also leaving.

"Thank you Lady Nadia and I admire you!" Her friend has more things to say, I see...

I let out a breath of relief when they are finally out of sight.

"One of your fans?" Gwen commented.

"You mean to say, two of her fans," Bea corrected her.

Is she cracking a joke or what? I have no clue because she has this poker face on... Knowing Bea, she might be doing just that. If you don't know her that much, you wouldn't get to know that she has a peculiar side of her. Just like her jokes sometimes...

Anyways, I bid y'all adieu.