Chapter 43

Roman Parker

After Alexander and Ezra Romano had proposed their suggestion to me, they left the room but Mason Romano was still standing in front of me. I quirked an eyebrow at him and asked, "Aren't you....leaving?"

He took a step forward and replied, "I'm not sure how you've managed to save Ave, I mean Reine, but I want to thank you for everything that you've done for her. She looked....more alive now, and happy, of course." A small smile flashed across his face at the mention of his cousin. Ray did mention to me a few times about Mason Romano, the cousin whom she thinks of as her blood brother. 

"You don't have to thank me for something that I should have done, she's my sister, you know." He scoffed at my words and replied, "She's my sister too, mind you. But thank you really, for bringing the smile back on her face after so long. For that, I'm really thankful." I sighed softly, as much as I dislike the Romanos, Mason Romano was probably an exception now. And I could see why Ray would always have a smile plastered onto her face whenever she talked about him. He truly cared for her as a brother and a family, not because he pitied her or whatsoever. He was probably one of her reasons for staying in that shitty house for so long. 

Reine Parker

Seeing that Mason had just came out of the infirmary, I walked up to him and asked, "What did you guys talk about for so long? Did he say anything crazy?" I had to check, especially when Roman had no good impression of them since the start. 

Mason chuckled lightly at my words, and answered, "No, he didn't, don't worry. We just briefly discussed about some matters. Anyways, here is my favourite dagger, keep it with you at all times, just in case you don't have a weapon on your hands. Don't get hurt, okay?" He took out a silver looking dagger with gold handle and passed it to me. I tried to push it back to him but he was way stronger and insisted that I should keep it. 

Having no choice, I could only stuff the dagger at the side of my waistband and muttered a 'thank you'. The two of us then headed down to the living room, where the rest of them were sitting at. 

"Since you all have already seen the situation, I'm sure you can set aside your worries and head back to Italy now. The alliance will go on, but I hope none of you will overstep your boundaries throughout this period." I announced, with a blank look on my face. 

Before anyone could speak up, Ari was the first to speak, "El- Reine, can we have a moment?" She looked at me with hopeful eyes, silently hoping that I would agree. I nodded, then guided her towards my room, leaving the rest of them sitting there, not knowing what to say or do.

We took a seat on the edge of my bed and she started, "I know you've seen the sorry looks on their faces ever since they met you. I'm not trying to plead for them or whatsoever, because I have no rights either. You've suffered alone for so long, but yet none of us could notice that. Right now, I'm just glad that you're alive and well, sitting right beside me. I just want to let you know that no matter what decisions you make, I will always be there to support you. Be it whether you wish to forgive them or not, I will support your decisions. I just hope that you will be happy at the end of the day, that's all I wish." 

I caressed her hand slowly, as I nodded my head at her words and replied, "Thank you, really."

After the talk, we then head back down and they finally left the house. I let out a sigh of relief the moment they left. I didn't realise how stressed I felt when they were here. Heading back up to the infirmary, Roman was sitting upright on the bed, looking spaced out as though he was lost in his thoughts. 

Only after hearing a click of the door closing, he finally snapped his eyes up to meet mine, before gesturing to the seat beside the bed. I took the seat, and asked, "You looked bothered, is it about the attack last night?"

"Kind of yes, but no. I have something to ask you." He looked nervous, which was rather seldom, only when things are serious and something that could get a big reaction from me. I quirked up one side of my eyebrow, prompting him to continued. 

"I had a discussion with them just now. They proposed about having us to move to Italy so that we could fight off together if there's another attack again. I just want to know your opinion on it." I nodded in silent at the abrupt suggestion. 

The German mafia had drastically declined in power ever since those who joined the mafia because of Felix Parker had left. Given last night's attack, we could barely hold the fort with these small amount of people and any one of us could have died last night. 

By joining with the Romano would be a double edged sword, but at least they had a large army of men who would be able to fight if a similar attack were to happen again. And the chances of Roman getting hurt because of me will be lower too. Who knows if someday another attack happens and Damian might be the next to take a bullet for me? I can't risk that happening either. 

As long as it's for the safety of them both, I wouldn't mind taking a risk to go back that place again. 

After a long pregnant pause, I finally spoke up, "Roman, I think we should take up that offer. So that we can catch the mastermind sooner and end the alliance with them too." He widened his eyes in shock the moment words left my mouth. 

"Wait, wait, wait. Are you serious about that? Like you're totally fine with that shitty suggestion?" He asked once again, checking if I had a fever by placing the back of his palm on my forehead. I swatted his hand away and glared at him playfully, nodding, "Yeah, and I'm not crazy. Totally serious about what I had just said." 

He then sighed, making me look at him, "All right then, I will call him and inform him of this arrangement and see when we will be flying over." 

A new chapter of chaos was about to begin and I'm not exactly sure if I should be looking forward to that or be dreadful of it.

updated! school is starting soon and i have mixed feelings about it NWJNSOJKNMOSN 

Happy reading! -16/10/2022