Chapter 15: A Study in Pink: final pt: 12

***Recap***

(Jeff shakes his head. Grimacing angrily, Sherlock lifts his foot and puts it onto Jeff's shoulder. Jeff gasps in pain.)

Sherlock: A name.

(Jeff cries out in pain.)

Sherlock: Now.

(Still, Jeff can only whine in pain. His face is intent and manic, and Sherlock leans his weight onto his foot. Jeff whimpers.)

Sherlock (furiously): The NAME!

Jeff (agonized): MORIARTY!

(His eyes close and his head rolls to the side. Sherlock steps back, turning his head away and looking reflective. After a few seconds, he silently mouths the word 'Moriarty' to himself. Sherlock stands to his full height and turns to face his mate. His eyes widened in shock at what he saw. Her eyes were no longer blue but golden and underneath and around her eyes were black veins. Seeing her mate's reaction, Nikki allows her face to return to normal before turning away from him and vamp speeding out of the room, leaving a stunned Sherlock behind.)

***Now***

(LATER. Outside the college, Sherlock is sitting on the back steps of an ambulance. A paramedic puts an orange blanket around his shoulders as Lestrade walks over. Sherlock gestures to the blanket.)

Sherlock: Why have I got this blanket? They keep putting this blanket on me.

Lestrade: Yeah, it's for shock.

Sherlock: I'm not in shock.

Lestrade: Yeah, but some of the guys wanna take photographs.

(He grins. Sherlock rolls his eyes.)

Sherlock: So, the shooter. No sign?

Lestrade: Cleared off before we got 'ere. But a guy like that would have had enemies, I suppose. One of them could have been following him but ... (he shrugs) ... got nothing to go on.

(Sherlock looks at him pointedly.)

Sherlock: Oh, I wouldn't say that.

(Now it's Lestrade's turn to roll his eyes.)

Lestrade: Okay, gimme.

Sherlock (standing up): The bullet they just dug out of the wall from a handgun. Kill shot over that distance from that kind of weapon - that's a crack shot you're looking for, but not just a marksman; a fighter. His hands couldn't have shaken at all, so clearly he's acclimatized to violence. He didn't fire until I was in immediate danger, though, so strong moral principle. You're looking for a man probably with a history of military service ...

(While he's talking, he turns his head to look around the area and sees John standing some distance away behind the police tape, Nikki standing just behind his new flatmate.)

Sherlock: ... and nerves of steel ...

(He trails off. As John looks back at him innocently and then turns his head away, Sherlock clearly begins to realize the connection. Lestrade turns to follow Sherlock's gaze and Sherlock turns back to him before he can start to ask questions.)