Chapter 51 ~ The Last Lesson (M)

Sounds grew distant. Faeriel breathed shallowly in a rapidly narrowing void. Body tensing in terror, her perspective tunneled, shadows tumbling around the edges.

A dizzying montage of horrors lurched to the fore of her sight, embedded like a pinprick of pain in the blinding middle. Shapes blended together, merging and dissolving, indistinguishable to the eye but utterly haunting to the soul. A sorrow she had only known twice before sliced through her soul. But this time it was different.

Terror tore through her, scraping against muscle and nerve, violently flaying her fëa. Her heart screamed, thumping uncontrollably in her clenched throat like a punching fist as the sensations of a thousand tortured souls strangled her.

Beside her Faelas experienced the same. His mouth opened taut in a silent shriek as if too many voices struggled to escape it. It felt like his chest erupted, fear and pain suspending his heartbeat and stopping his breath.

Legolas' mind and body reeled at the pain he too could sense, layers of agony somehow saturating the atmosphere. It would have directly affected him more had he not been terrified for his beloved, whose anguish stood to the fore in his awareness.

He rushed around the bend. When he caught sight of the twins, his visage morphed into a portrait of stoic terror; jaw set firm, brows furrowed but dampening eyes open wide. A knife twisted in his heart—or that was what it felt like. Eyes wide, he raced across the lawn toward Faeriel whose entire body convulsed where she stood. Legolas could feel the pain pierce her fëa! It was more than she could bear.

A scream built up in her chest. It emerged as a garbled shriek as she toppled over, the impact knocking the breath out of her.

Legolas fell to his knees and gathered his meleth to him. He felt the seismic torment wracking her, sensed the trench in her soul split ever wider... And with certainty he knew... If this continued, it would kill her.

 At a flash of movement he cast his gaze beside her

At a flash of movement he cast his gaze beside her. Faelas was in the grip of it too, and quickly Talishaya and Radagast raced to him.

An inferno of pain engulfed the twins. Crimson heat swallowed them whole, screams splintered the air. Backs bowing in agony, their world narrowed to the pain of thousands... then tens of thousands... then it seemed millions and beyond.

From far away and yet so near, spine chilling whimpers and wails and screams scraped their ears. Icy bolts of fear from a swelling tide of souls churned through their empathic senses, overflowing the vessels of their beautiful fëa.

The dizzying rush consumed them, each image too fleeting to discern clearly, but often they saw metal bars... metal bars and hands, so many hands, hands that mutilated, that violated tender places, that pushed, and shoved, and held them down.

And Arda... at the same time, somehow, they could see Arda... vertiginous flashes of pernicious wounds... Scorched earth, charred trees, forests razed to the ground, maelstroms of flame and storms of destruction sweeping a land defiled and diseased.