17: Kitten (2)

Chapter 17: Kitten (2)

Peter liked his suit a lot, as it turned out, but Enrique sensed an ominous feeling in the air – as if he was being watched. His heightened eyesight and hearing didn't catch anything though. But since it might be a strong enemy and also since the night was getting darker anyway – he suggested Peter to leave for home.

"Huh? But I wanna test out the suit!" Peter protested, making Enrique deadpan.

"Your friends took quite a few pictures, imagine if your aunt saw any of them. She must be confused. You really want to be late on top of that?" Enrique asked, watching the boy blink before shaking his head. "That's what I thought. Now leave."

Peter sighed and swung off to the distance. After he did, Enrique took a flight around the building to locate who was looking at him but found no one. Huh. Weird. Soon the gaze vanished too. Just to be sure, he followed Peter from a distance – in case the enemy moved after Peter, but found no one. Then again, Peter would know before him if he was in danger. Spider Tingle was sharper than Enrique's senses.

Enrique made sure Peter reached his home, and even then the gaze was nowhere to be found.

["Don't worry about it, I know who that was."] his Goddess spoke suddenly. ["You will know who later,"]

Oh nice, mysteries. God, he hated those.

Enrique gave Anna a call to make sure everything was fine on her end, and when he confirmed that he decided to return home. It was indeed getting late.

He had saved 6 people today but gained no believers except for Spider-Man. Mostly because he wasn't trying to recruit believers like that anymore – he was moving his game up. He would first get his hand on a ton of money and then form a crime syndicate. After that, gaining believers will be easy.

Though rather than 'building' a syndicate, taking over an already established one sounded sweeter, and smarter. He already had a name in mind, too. Just that, he wasn't going the full-out villain route yet. He needed a secondary, secret identity, to play the villain first. Stabilise things first before revealing his true identity – that way if the plan failed his hero image wouldn't be ruined.

...!

'Hm?'

Enrique blinked as his eyes caught a black flash in the distance. Huh. He almost didn't notice because of how dark the night was, but there was part of white around the black form which gave in to Enrique's eyes.

He was fairly certain that person wasn't the one spying on him until now, but that didn't mean they were 'normal' either, given how effortlessly they were running by the rooftop of buildings.

Closing distance, Enrique heard the sound of police sirens all around the streets, and there was even a car waiting in the direction the person was heading to. Looking around, Enrique found police cars around a jewellery shop that had gone haywire.

Aha.

Black & white and police & jewels.

That narrowed things down a bit too much.

—-—

'Shit.' Felicia Hardy, currently under the disguise of Black Cat, cursed in her mind as she ran from one rooftop to another. 'And they say police is never on time.'

Turns out they were lying.

Today was her first day at this job— where she succeeded in her late father's work. The art of Burgling. She thought she would be fine as Spider-Man didn't come to this area often, and even if he did there were more important matters than catching a thief. She hadn't even considered the police, they were just that worthless. But shit, look at her now! She was surrounded. The moment she got down from the roofs she will be spotted.