33 - The Uncanny In Crime Alley

"Guys, can you hear me?"

"Clear."

"Yes."

"Yeah, Melody."

Voices rang out of my comms, all in the affirmative, as I stood tall on a building, looking down onto the deserted yet bustling city. Gotham. So this is how it was- to be on top of the world.

"Well then, Let's get started."

I jump off the building, swinging into the city, scouring the roads for any crime. I land on another nearby building, and run towards the ledge, jumping off again. I keep doing this, trying to search for anything to do.

Basically, anything related to scarecrow.

The cold wind is blew softly against my face as I keep running and jumping. The wind hits my half-covered face, and that feeling- it isn't something you can describe. It's simply heavenly.

I smile. It had been way too long since I had done this. I had forgotten how great this felt, how powerful it made me feel. I wonder what Lila would think if she saw me like this, if she saw me as Lady Luck.

As I jump off another building, I slip, suddenly swinging into the traffic, and a car was speeding towards me. I screamed, scared for my life, as I harshly tug on the string of the yo-yo. It pulls me up just in time, as I softly land on top of the car.

Ugh. Now it's going to be a pain in the ass to get off.

I stand up straight, throwing my yo-yo at a billboard as the car continues speeding. The yo-yo catches on, but the car was going too fast, and I was yanked off the car and slammed back-first into the wall of a building, then falling down.

"Ow." I groan, standing up and holding my back.

"Luck, you okay?" came the voice of Adrien, who must have heard my groans. "Yeah, I'm just peachy." I reply, stifling my groan with my fist. I grab my yo-yo and swinging above another building.

"Did you find anything?" I ask again, sitting down and leaning on a nearby wall, waiting for my healing abilities to kick in. I pant. I can't believe Damian and Bruce and the rest were doing all of this without healing.

"Nope. No sign of Joker at all."

"Yeah, same. I can't see any of his goons either."

This was weird. Both Adrien and Luka couldn't find anything. Luka was assigned to Crime Alley and Adrien was at the Bowery, the worst places in Gotham. The Joker breaking out and doing nothing was rather uncanny.

Joker was the worst of them. As much as he was smart, he was also impatient. The silence in the city was not supposed to be there. Something was wrong. I frown. Then it struck me.

"Lu- Serpentis, did you just say Crime Alley was quiet?"

"Yes? There are barely any people around. And if there are, they aren't causing trouble." Luka replied. "Why do you ask- Oh shit." Luka curses as realization kicks in. "What's happening?" Adrien asks, making Kagami stifle a laugh.

"It's literally in the name, bro." Nino says, jokingly. "What does it mean when there is no crime in Crime Alley?" he continues. "Oh, yeah." Adrien says in realization. I laugh.

"Serpentis, stay where you are. I'm on my way. Carapace, Rena, I need backup." I say, getting up and standing straight, ready to jump off the ledge. I felt a tingle pass through my body, and the pain disappeared. Good, my healing ability kicked in.