Chapter fifteen

"Ten million dollars! That's the highest we've ever gotten, diamond your name is fitting, expensive and rare. We hope your new master will show you just how much your worth, number sixteen she's all yours!"

My eyes are blank, I'm biting my cheek to stop myself from saying or doing anything I'll end up regretting. My blood is fucking boiling. It feels like someone grabbed a bucket of water and threw it all over me. Bruno Rodriguez ruined my entire damn mission, I was so damn close!

"What the bloody hell just happened!" Daniel shouts through the earpiece in my ear, as they drag me off the stage.

I can't tell him what happened, because I have no fucking idea myself. Why is Bruno here? I've done more than enough research to know that he doesn't participate in this stuff. I'd never look at him twice if I thought he did. By the look on his face, he was just as surprised as me when he bid. Ten million fucking dollars, he bid more than anyone has, what the hell was he thinking? Andreas Vitelli was winning, I was so close.

"You're a lucky one diamond, that man must really want you." The lady dragging me behind the stage says, she's wearing layers of makeup and little to nothing. The way she chews her gum has been annoying me ever since I saw her, "by the glance I got, he wasn't so ugly either."

I keep silent, still not processing what just happened as she drags me to a room with the other girls.

She pushes me inside and locks the door before going out again. Some of the girls are crying, some are about to faint, and others have a blank look on their face – almost like they've decided to zone out infinitely. I was so close to getting them out, I was going to kill Vitelli and then focus entirely on the girls no matter what, even if I don't have nearly enough backup.

Small sobs escape the girl who was first out on the stage. She has short black hair and is still in the white underwear. Her face is covered with her hands, and another girl is patting her on the back while she's holding back her own tears.
"I w-want to go h-home" She sobs, and my hearts shatters. I failed. I fucking failed.

I can't fail, I refuse – I'm not leaving without getting them out. How the fuck am I going to do it though? I look around, no windows, no way to escape. Even if we managed to get out, there's security around the entire building, I won't be able to get them out just like that.

"What the hell happened?" Daniel says again,
"Bruno Rodriguez happened." I say low enough that no one hears, "I'll fix it but I need more time."
"There's no more time Amalie, this was the only chance, Vitelli will go back in hiding after this."

I curse internally, damn it. He'll disappear, I won't have another shot at getting him but right now I couldn't care less – I need to help these girls, I can't leave and pretend like nothing happened. The door opens before I can think of another solution and the lady from before is there with two guards behind her. She smiles a huge smile, still chewing on that damn gum.

"Diamond, you're out first, your new owner is waiting." She throws a white robe at me and waits for me to put it on. I can knock out the guards, but not without someone freaking out and gathering attention so for now I do as I'm told and put on the cheap robe, she threw at me. I follow silently as we walk through a hallway and stop in front of two big black doors.

"Every owner gets a private room with his new toy, only one hour so make it count sweetheart." She looks at me, up and down before coming closer and undoing the tie around my robe, she tilts her head and moves her hand to my chest, I grab her wrist right away to stop her.
"Do that one more time and I'll make sure you're sedated and trust me I'll do way worse when you're out." She threatens, and the guards come up behind me and hold my arms.