Part nineteen

Chris P.O.V.

“Do you love him?” I asked PJ quietly.

“Who?” his pale green eyes were suddenly on me, and I looked up to meet his stare.

“Dan,” it took one name for his eyes to show love, but in a split second screamed hate, hurt and anger. He realised his expression faltered and changed it back to an emotionless one.

“I’m straight.”

“You’re not, I see the way you look at him PJ… you love him,” it all made sense now. How when PJ first got upset was straight after we discovered Dan and Phil were together. How he seemed to look happier when Dan walked him home. How much more effort he put into his appearance when he was seeing Dan. Just the mere mention of Dan would have PJ smiling. 

So the man I was in love with was in love, with a man, who wasn't me, but was one of our close friends. And just when I thought being in love with my best friend who I assumed was straight could get any worse.

“And what?” 

“Just… be careful.”

“Why should I?”

“I saw you try to kiss him earlier, the door was wide open! He loves Phil, what are you playing at?”

“He doesn’t love Phil!” But I could see he was only trying to convince himself.

“Don’t do anything stupid, you’ll end up hurting Dan, Phil, yourself… and me,” I whispered the part then slapped my hand over my mouth when I realised what I had said.

“And who?”

“Nothing,” I snapped and started to head for the door. PJ grabbed my arm and his eyes frantically searched my face as if to find the lost words. My heart jumped at his touch but I ignored it.

“I love him Chris, and I can’t help it,” his voice broke and it was from that moment I could see from his eyes how much Dan’s rejection hurt him. His eyes weren’t their usual bright colour; they were dead and right now filling with tears. My heart broke at the sight I hugged him as he sobbed into my chest.

“I’m sorry, PJ. I really am sorry.”

“I don’t want to be in love with him, Chris. I don’t want to be in love with another man. I just don’t want to be in love, I don’t want to be in love…”