amphetamine

"You're so annoying," you tried your best to fix your disheveled state in the visor mirror.

When Eren asked you if you wanted to meet his dad, you were hesitant at first. You hadn't even established what the two of you were. You hadn't established anything. But there was no way in hell you were going to pass up the offer to meet the man that created Eren Jaeger.

"What? If you didn't abandon me on the escalator I wouldn't have had to be so rough with you," Eren bluntly reasoned, driving and keeping his eyes on the road.

"Are you even hearing yourself right now?" you scoffed.

"I never think you do," he retorted.

"Fuck you," you bit.

"Already did."

Not too long after, he was turning into possibly the biggest hospital you had ever seen. All those levels, and all those lit up windows. A sickly person behind each one. There were hundreds—thousands possibly. Countless. And your heart lunged thinking that somebody was suffering behind each one.

Perhaps there were two girls in there fighting for their lives again. Perhaps they had glass clinging to their skin like crushed little stars. Perhaps they had scrapes beyond configuration. Perhaps they were built up with stitches. Perhaps they both went in together, but only one would come back out.

Eren drove towards the parking garage, and on the way, you couldn't help but admire how beautifully constructed the hospital was. You would've enjoyed being pushed on your wheelchair through the gardens and flowers much more when you were mourning Aria while you still had to stay in the hospital.

He parked the car and the two of you got out. You walked towards his side but he reached out and grabbed your hand. Wordlessly tugging you as if it were normal. You noticed he did that a lot. On most occasions though, you were rushing away or towards something.

It made you smile, and you held his hand tighter. You both kept walking towards the elevator. He hit the up button and the doors opened, you stepped inside. Still, he had not let go of your hand.

"I hate the smell," he whispered when the lift began to move, being reminded of his late mother.

"Me too," you whispered back.

"You don't like hospitals?" he casually asked, your hands still clasped.

"Never said that. I only said I don't like the smell," you answered.

It was strange to admit that, that you liked hospitals. Normally, you'd hear peoples' fear of them, their aversion to each and everything in there. Strangely, you had loved it. You enjoyed the boxy televisions hanging on the walls, the wide beds, and the white sheets that proved to be the only untainted thing in the entire facility.

It was the one place love grew. In seeing the pain of your close ones, love existed within these walls. Love could be seen here, not in the cracks of your home.

Eren led you into the neurological unit where his dad worked. He approached the counter, having let go of your hand in the process.

"How may I—oh, hello, Eren," the nurse sitting behind the desk greeted. "How are you?"

"I'm good, Nora, how about you?" he politely returned the gesture.

"I'm well," the beautiful nurse replied. "I hope you're here to see your father."

"I am."

"Well, I'll page him," she was straightening a file of papers as she spoke. She noticed you, but she asked Eren, "Oh, are you here together?"