| one

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬

chapter one:ice cream & a kiss

chapter one:
ice cream & a kiss

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

BESIDES THE NEW attraction of the mall, the Hawkins Community Pool was one of the popular attractions in the small town. It was bustling with families, mothers desperately trying to get the energy out of their kids while simultaneously trying to cool them down.

Serenity had a pool of her own. It routinely got cleaned, thanks to her always-absent parents only caring about their image instead of their actual children. But with Spencer working, and Steve working, and Nancy and Jonathan working, and leaving her kids alone to let them have their own fun, Serenity wasn't particularly keen to spending time all alone at an empty house. Normal people probably would've basked in the silence, but that house was just a reminder of how broken her family really was, and she'd rather not spend her summer at it.

So that's why Serenity finds herself laying on a chair under the sun at the community pool. There's a pair of sunglasses on her face, and she's wearing a purple bikini. Of course, she has sunscreen lathered all over her skin, because she would probably die without it, but it'll still allow her freckles to come out and her skin to get a nice golden glow to it.

She was vaguely reminded that it was also the day Dustin was coming back from camp. He had been gone for about a month, learning the ways of science and whatnot. Mike, Eleven, Max, Lucas, and Will were going to surprise him when he came back. They had invited her, but Serenity did promise not to be as watchful with the kids this summer so she could give them time to grow and be on their own. Dustin would come to her if he wanted to spend time with her. Serenity just didn't want to push anything.

The noise of the kids splashing and people talking are all drowned out by the headphones placed over her ears, connected to her Walkman. Steve had made her a mixtape, affectionately titled The Babysitters Guide to Being Badass, Featuring the Lovers, at the beginning of the summer. Right now, it was playing Like a Virgin, one of her favorite songs at the moment.

A shadow then completely blocked the sun from her. Serenity opened her eyes from the relaxed state she had them in, but they immediately rolled in annoyance. None other than Billy Hargrove was standing above her, completely shirtless and wearing a stupid pair of sunglasses along with his red bathing suit and lifeguard whistle. Serenity inwardly groaned — she should've known that the lifeguards rotated before deciding to come here.

How he managed to get a job at the pool, Serenity would never know. She still hated him and his ugly mullet tremendously, not only for hurting her, but for hurting her kids and Steve. Serenity kind of hoped that Billy would leave her alone after she slammed a spiked bat down between his legs to threaten cutting off his dick, but he had been a thorn in her ass lately.