| seven

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬

chapter seven:a ray of sunshine with aspiked bat

chapter seven:
a ray of sunshine with a
spiked bat

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

SERENITY KNEW SOMETHING was up when Steve didn't answer the phone.

After they had watched Billy run into the woods, Serenity had driven her and the kids back to Mike's house. It was a car ride of very, very intense silence. None of them really knew what to say, and there weren't even any words to describe what they had just witnessed, anyways.

Serenity had realized, with immense guilt, that she literally hadn't talked to Steve since she had taken Eleven and Max to the mall, which was over two days ago. (Yes, please save her the lecture, she was a horrible girlfriend. However, she was focused on Billy and Heather and the Mind Flayer, so maybe she got a pass.)

So, when they all piled in the Wheeler's basement, Serenity rang Steve's number on their telephone. No answer, which was weird, because Steve always answered his telephone. He had one in his room, and even if it was in the middle of the night, he would answer. It was late, but not too late that he would be sleeping. That was only the start of her concern.

She also called her older brother to reassure him that she was alive. Serenity had just told Spencer that she was babysitting the kids, which wasn't exactly a lie, and would be home soon.

Neither her or the kids had slept at all, too scared at what they had witnessed. Serenity hated feeling like this again — not being able to sleep because the Upside Down was fucking with her head. She had gotten a whole lot better lately ever since November, but here it was, rushing up on her again. Who could blame her? It was the fucking Mind Flayer. Arguably, he was worse than the Demogorgon.

They stayed up until the sunrise, the basement completely silent. There would be some conversations, but not a whole lot. It was mostly Serenity, whispering to all of them to ask if they were all right and if they needed anything.

Finally, when Serenity glanced at the clock again, it was almost time for the mall to open. Steve most likely had a shift and would have to get up for it, so she stood back up from her place on the couch and rang him again. The same thing as last night — no answer. That was also very concerning, because if he wasn't at home before his shift, where was he?

If he wasn't going to answer her, Serenity decided to go to him.

The kids had all reassured Serenity that they would be okay without her for a little while. Serenity wasn't exactly very keen on leaving them, but she had to make sure Steve was okay, especially with all of this going on. She got back in her car and drove to the mall. However, unlike the drives to the mall before, the summer air didn't bring her comfort. This drive was suffocating her in anticipation, because if Steve wasn't at work or his house . . .