| fifteen

╔══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮ ══════╗

𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗬

chapter fifteen:I love you and that's all I really know

chapter fifteen:
I love you and that's all I really
know

╚══════✮❁•°♛°•❁✮══════╝

"WHERE'S EL?" SERENITY asked, turning towards the others in the front seat. "And Mike and Max?"

That was one of the things that made her even more worried. If the three of them were here, all of them would be basically piled on top of each other. But since they weren't all sitting on top of each other — with the exception of Serenity, who was practically on top of Steve due to Robin also being in the very back — it made her realize that they were missing.

"We had to leave them at the mall," Will answered. "We — we were cut off, Renny."

"They're still there?" Serenity asked. "Fuck. This isn't good."

"It — it can't be that bad," Robin reassured her. "I — I mean, the Mind Flayer's following us, so they're safe."

Serenity shook her head. "No. They're not, because Billy."

"But you knocked him out," Steve protested, threading his fingers through some of her hair and pushing it away from her face for her. "I saw."

"I'm not so sure. His body's stronger now because of the Mind Flayer. I mean, during the sauna test, El absolutely smacked the shit out of him, and he got right back up."

The already-tense setting of the car got even more stifling as everyone let Serenity's words sink in. Serenity glanced behind her, staring out the window. The Mind Flayer was still following after them, crawling on all eight legs like a spider made out of human flesh and guts — well, because it was.

Jonathan had taken one of the old deserted country roads of Hawkins, bringing them farther and farther away from the Starcourt, where three of Serenity's kids were still trapped. The road was deserted, just like it had been when Serenity drove. Most likely everyone was at the Fourth of July fair, blissfully unaware to the dire situation that was going on right now.

Serenity flinched as the station wagon rattled from the Mind Flayer's footsteps. Each one was booming, becoming more and more ominous. Jonathan was going fast, but the Mind Flayer was doing a pretty good job of keeping up. They couldn't drive forever, though — they would reach a point where the car ran out of gas or maybe shut down.