Chapter 26: The Blind Banker: pt 10

***Recap***

(Sarah goes to John's consulting room and knocks on the door.)

SARAH: John?

(She waits a few seconds but gets no reply.)

SARAH: John?

(When there's still no reply, she opens the door and looks inside. John is sitting behind the desk, his head propped up on one fist, and is fast asleep and snoring gently.)

***Now***

(Much later, he comes out of his consulting room puts on his coat, and walks over to Sarah who is standing behind the reception desk. He clears his throat awkwardly.)

John: Um, looks like I'm done. I thought I had some more to see.

Sarah: Oh, I did one or two of yours.

John: One or two?

Sarah: Well, maybe five or six.

John: I'm sorry. That's not very professional.

Sarah: No. No, not really.

John: I had, um, a bit of a late one.

Sarah: Oh, right.

John: Anyway, see you.

(He turns to walk away.)

Sarah: So, um, what were you doing to keep you up so late?

John (turning back to her): Uh, I was, er, attending a sort of book event.

Sarah: Oh. Oh, she likes books, does she, your ... your girlfriend?

(She looks down fake-nonchalantly.)

John: Mmm? No, it wasn't a date. Just an event with my flatmate and his girlfriend.

Sarah (too quickly): Good. (she rapidly tries to cover.) I mean, um ...

John: And I don't have one tonight.

(They smile at each other, John looking down almost in disbelief as if thinking, 'Oh good grief, I've just pulled!')

(221B. Nikki and Sherlock were still working on the crates but now tries a different tack.)

Sherlock: A book that everybody would own.

(He turns to his bookcase and pulls down the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, the Holy Bible, and a third book which we can't see the title of. Putting them on top of the nearest crate, he opens the dictionary to the correct page. Nikki sat on the couch thumbing through the pile of books trying to figure out the cipher.)

Sherlock: Fifteen. Entry one.

(The word is "add". He moves on to the last book he took down, which some fantastic research by has revealed is called "Syphilis and local contagious disorders" by Berkeley Hill. The first word on page 15 is "nostrils". Putting that aside and flicking to page 15 of the Bible, partway through the Book of Genesis, the first word is "I". As he closes the book, and John's bedroom door slams shut, he props his elbows on the crate and runs his fingers through his hair, ruffling it up. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the imminent arrival of his flatmate, who now walks into the room and has changed into clean clothes.)

Sherlock: I need to get some air. John, we're going out tonight.

 John, we're going out tonight