019, 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝

DEAR, EX

LOVE IN THE DARK adele

nick opens the door, his eyes meeting with scarlett's. "scarlett...?" nick mumbles, confused.

"is chris here?" she immediately asks.

he hesitantly steps back, then turns around and starts walking downstairs. to them, the sturniolos, it was code for : 'come in, and follow me'.

so she steps inside of their house and walks up the staircase, following behind nick.

obviously, he goes to chris' room and knocks on the door. "yeah?" chris' voice falls into scarlett's room. she exhales. this is the moment. everything will fix, it'll go back to normal.

nick opens the door, revealing only himself to chris. but he steps aside, allowing scarlett to anxiously walk in. nick glances at her once more before shutting chris' door and walking away, not saying a single word.

not until he runs to matt's room and tells him what just happened, of course.

chris stands from his bed, taking in the fact that scarlett is here.

her hair is perfectly curled, the way she used to do it. there was no makeup on her face. she was wearing slightly loose black jeans and the blue sweater chris got her for her birthday. and the necklace that his mom got her for christmas.

he looked like her.

but regardless of that, chris remained upset at her. he steps closer, a feet being in between the two. but it felt like so much more. it felt like they were oceans apart.

"why are you here?" chris says. his tone isn't kind, nor is it harsh. either way, it stung her.

scarlett looks at him. what does she say? oh, i finally blocked chase! wanna get back together? i'm here to beg for forgiveness. she mentally shakes her head. "to explain." she decides on.

"explain?" chris asks, repeating what she said in question.

"yes." she nods her head, then exhales. this is it. her shot to make things right. set things straight. "i don't love chase. i don't even like him. i'm pretty sure i hate him." she starts off with. the basics

"you're dating him."

"you're gonna believe what that asshole says? if you had stayed any longer, you would've seen how i yelled at him for what he said to you and about you. i kicked him out, and i blocked him. he stalked me then came to where i was, trying to tell me he's better than you, and i told him i wanted someone who didn't hit and yell at me—"

"wait," chris interrupts her. "hit?"

scarlett stares up at him, and then she looks down. she shouldn't have told him. first mistake. actually, second mistake. she shouldn't have come here in the first place. but she inhales, then exhales with her eyes closed. then she looks back up at him with open and trembling eyes.

"i have missed you since the day i was leaving your house in may. i didn't go to chase, he and his posy came to me. and i couldn't say no, i had no friends left besides liam. but then chase got this weird obsession with me and constantly attempting gaslighting and manipulating me, and at one point he hit me. slammed matt into a wall. we always yelled at each other and argued. and i let him do it because i was too scared to do anything." all the worlds just fall out so quickly, chris' mouth had slightly parted as he tried to keep up. "and when i told him that i wanted you, then walked away, he freaked out. but he's blocked on everything and i just came her to say that i—"

maybe she fucked up. she should've drove her ass home instead of coming her. she's probably worsening the situation. this stupid, broken situation that can't be mended. the wound that can't be stitched because it went to deep.

but chris interrupts her thoughts by breaking the one foot gap in between the two, pressing his lips against hers. her eyebrows raise in shock, and before she gets the chance to recover from any surprise, he's pulling away with his hands resting on the sides of her neck. their eyes were locked together, hers filled with shock and relief and his filled with simple relief. "i love you too." he mutters.

and at this, she's the one who pulls him in. she's tilting her head up and crashing her lips against his, and he doesn't wait a second to kiss her back. her hands were clung into his arms, just until he slid his hands to the small of her back, somehow pulling her even closer to him than she was before.

her arms wrap around his neck, hands resting on the back of it. they finally talked it out. they were finally in the other's comfort again.

scarlett pulls away slowly, staring at chris, who stares back. the two have love in their eyes now, replacing any other emotion they were feeling. any guilt or remorse. it was gone. the love these two had for each other was indescribable. it was assigned to specifically them, and nothing could change that. not even the crying and arguing they had gone through to get here, in his room.

she places her head on his chest, ultimately just hugging him. he clenches onto her sweater as he allows her into his embrace. he missed her just as much as she missed him. missed her stupid books and stupid attitude and stupid everything. missed how stupid it was that she called him stupid, and how he debated knowing it's pretty much true. how not only they were a couple, but they were best friends. how she would rest her head on his shoulder, flipping through pages of the great gatsby and rereading lines she highlighted on pages she tabbed for the hundredth time.

and she had missed how when she spent the night, she woke up to a breakfast waiting for her on the dining table and chris waiting for her to wake up downstairs. or them watching their childhood shows together, like henry danger or victorious or sam & cat. and the way he would quote the lines if he remembered them, but still get a few words wrong while doing it. the way their love was made for the pages of a book or movie screens. the way the two could never get over how perfect the other was. how happy they were.

as they pull their heads away and look at each other, chris smiles, as if he was reading her mind. "wanna watch henry danger?"

a/n

appreciate their happiness while u can