Freespace- 23

"Tony."

"Hm."

"Are we gonna be there soon?"

"The more you ask me questions like that, the longer I take."

"...Well, are we?"

"Notice how I'm going under the speed limit now."

"Dude." "Christ, you're like a toddler... I, uh," he hesitates, glancing at the gps. It'd been a long day. They'd gotten up at 5 AM to drive to a science expo, and right after, they'd ended up at a Gala that they, of course were fashionably late to and left fashionably early. Tony didn't want to be there anyway, but Pep told him he had to make an appearance.

Still, they left later than he wanted to and it was now almost 1 in the morning and Tony doesn't think it'd be a good choice to drive another 2 and a half hours to the compound. He'd probably end up collapsing on his couch on the way to his bedroom anyway. Also, his back would hate him for it. So now, FRI's leading them to the closest motel they could find.

"We've got another 15 minutes."

The boy groans and throws his head back in true teenager fashion. In his defence, he was understandably tired. Tony was too. Sure, he's done plenty of all-nighters. So has the kid; but they're both drained from the day's activities and talking to so many people.

"Yes, yes I know. It's either this or we drive the rest of the night and I don't think I'll be able to do that without putting us in danger by my passing out at the wheel," he sighs in his exhaustion, "I do wish we got a nice hotel though. But they've got no fancy stuff anywhere on this road."

Peter closes his eyes, leaning against the headrest. "As long as there's a bed, I'm happy," he mumbles sleepily. Tony wouldn't be surprised if he fell asleep in just another few minutes.

"Yep. And a decent coffee machine."

"We might not get that lucky."

They're at the point of exhaustion where they don't even turn the radio on. All they have the energy to listen to is the low hum of the engine as he steps a little harder on the gas.

He sighs with relief when he finally takes the turn into the run down motel parking lot. There's only two other cars parked there, which is... weird.

The motel itself is in all honestly, creepy. The building looks as if its wooden slabs might've been painted white but right now, it's aged and it's got black splotches of dirt and mold around the decomposed edges. There's small, square lights between each room, illuminating yellow around the building and the dying, droopy, plants beside the uneven sidewalk.

Tony flinches when the big O on the glaring red Motel sign blinks, and buzzes with electricity.

He doesn't think he'll bother dragging their luggage to the room. Opening the door just to see his kid, already out like a light, he knows tonight's a night both of them will fall asleep in their clothes.

"Pete," he mumbles, "Kid we're here, let's go get our room."

He grumbles under his breath as he stirs awake.
"Don't wanna."