Chapter 20

Chapter 20

                “I hope that one day I can love you the way you love me.” Paige, from The Vow, said with her voice slightly trembling. Her eyes were getting moist, looking as if she was on the verge of tears.

                “Oh my God, this is one of my favorite parts.” Maria began to tear up, as she grabbed a tissue from her box of Kleenex, dabbing her eyes gently. The doorbell suddenly rang as Maria angrily grabbed the remote to pause the movie before Leo spoke. “Everett! Get the door!”

                I heard the sound of Everett jogging down the stairs, as he shot Maria a glare before opening the front door. I leaned back a little to try to see who it was, but from Everett’s expression, he seemed a bit confused. “What are you doing here?” he asked, raising an eyebrow at whoever was by the door.

                Maria groaned, as she reached over. “I don’t have the patience for this. Channing Tatum is on the screen!” her thumb was about to press down on the play button, but not before Everett interrupted her.

                “Maria, your boyfriend’s here to see you.” Everett said, almost teasing her.

                Maria stared back at him with a frown, before blinking. “What are you talking about, Everett?” she snapped, rolling her eyes. “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

                “Jared.” Everett finally sighed, folding his arms over his chest. “Jared is here to see you.”

                Maria’s cheeks immediately turned red, as her eyes went wide. She immediately turned to me with a panicked expression, as she patted down her hair furiously. “Oh my Lord, Jared is here!” she hissed, trying to untangle her unruly, dark curls. “Do I look okay? Are my eyes red?”

                I snatched a tissue, as I rubbed her eyes carefully. As I did one final touch, as I pushed Maria off of the couch. “You’re fine!” I assured. “Now go, your boyfriend is waiting for you!” I grinned.

                Maria blushed once again, before glaring at Everett and I. “The both of you,” she paused, as she began walking out, tugging her shirt down, “suck!”

                We heard faintly as Maria greeted Jared, her voice going slightly higher than usual. I finally heard the front door close, as I turned back to the television screen with Rachel McAdams on it. Before hitting the play button, I grabbed the bowl of popcorn from the coffee table, settling it down on my lap.

                “What are you watching?” Everett suddenly asked, taking the empty seat beside me on the couch.

                I stared at him with surprise, feeling just a little nervous. The two of us hadn’t exactly spoken since our kiss a few days ago. “T-The Vow.” I told him, clearing my throat as I noticed it getting pitchy.

                “Can I join?” he asked, leaning over my lap to grab a handful of popcorn.

                His arms gently brushed against my bare thighs, leaving a burning sensation from where his skin had touched mine. “Are you sure? It’s The Vow.” I asked, literally scoffing. “The last time we watched a chick flick, you fell asleep halfway through the movie.”

                I still remembered the last time Everett and I watched a movie together, back when we were fifteen. It was my turn to choose the movie, and I decided to tease him by picking a chick flick, Bring it On. It wasn’t one of my favorite movies, but I knew we had to watch it when I saw Everett cringing once I picked it up.