Deciding Destiny

We walk along the beach like we have done so many times before. George was telling me about everything he had been thinking about since yesterday. He couldn't understand the feeling he had gotten after our kissing session.

"It was like I was being controlled by something else entirely. I hated it and loved it all at the same time. I just don't understand."

I nod my head as my feet sink into the hot sand. I sling my towel around my neck and shift the hat on my head. It was late morning so the sun was blaring. It still wasn't too hot though.

George finds a good spot to start dropping our stuff and throws his bag on a rock. I copy him and pull my shirt over my head, along with my hat and towel.

George moves to dive into the ocean, but I catch his arm.

"Wait!"

He turns to look at me, a flash of fear in his eyes. "What?"

"This is our day three from the prophecy. If what the Seer says is true, then... we might stay mermen forever if we swim today."

George pauses. "You're right. I've thought about that. I think as long as we leave before the day is over we should be fine. At least I think so..."

I stare at him. "And if you're wrong?"

He pulls his arm from my grasp. "We will be fine Dream. Don't worry."

"If you say so." I sigh.

"Let's go find Sapnap and Karl."

I follow George into the ocean and the both of us swim towards one of our meet up spots. The first place we look they are nowhere to be found. Last resort was going back to Sapnap's house, but we were still trying to avoid merfolk central just in case.

We both head to the underwater cave that Sapnap had tried multiple potions on us in.

"I can't remember where the entrance is," George tells me as we swim around the area we thought it was in. We swim around a rock that looks familiar and find Sapnap on the other side collecting something.

"Oh! Sapnap," I call out.

He jerks his head up. "What are you guys doing here?" he asks, stopping his previous task, whatever that was.

"We were looking for you actually," George admits.

Sapnap's face suddenly turns red and he backs away from George and I, wrinkling his nose like something smells bad or something. "Ugh. What did you guys do? You smell like-" he stops short, looking shocked.

"What?" I ask, starting to feel embarrassed and sniffing at myself. I didn't smell like anything.

"No you didn't." Sapnap looks between George and I, utterly stunned.

George looks concerned. "What?"

"Did you guys... ya know?"

I stare at him, puzzled. "Did we what?"

Sapnap looks embarrassed. "Do the bonding ritual?"

"What?!" George and I exclaim in unison.

"Why would you say that?" I add hastily.

"You smell like you have." Sapnap scrunches his nose.

George and I are both red-faced embarrassed as Karl swims from behind the rock. "Sapnap- oh! Hey Dream and George. Why do you guys look-" he stops short and covers his nose, swimming behind Sapnap. "Ugh! You smell like my parents after..." His eyes go wide.

"Oh no. No! We did not- we didn't..." I stutter, feeling like my face is burning. I look over at George. He stares back completely shocked and embarrassed.