Part 2: Chapter 51

Chapter 51: Cold Milk

Fifteen minutes Ethan thought, his eyes pulling away from the clock on the far wall. The minute hand was ticking closer and closer to the time that Chris said he'd arrive, and Chris was never late for a date. Ethan felt a combination of excitement and uncertainty thinking about going out with his boyfriend tonight. They usually had such an amazing time together but he felt unsure about where they stood after his visit to Chris's office only a few days before. He never properly told Chris how that day made him feel but even now he thought back to it, wondering . . . Had he made a mistake?

Ethan shook his head sharply, smacking his cheeks a couple of times to re-focus. He shouldn't think like this. He could feel himself jumping to conclusions and wanted to stop the thoughts right in their tracks.

"This is Ethan 2.0," He whispered, staring down at the table fiercely. "The one who doesn't start freaking out about a potential breakup after one bad day."

Chris was sweet and thoughtful and they did have a great time together. Somewhere along the way, Ethan forgot that in this moment, they have barely been dating for a month. Maybe, for a month-long couple, that could be enough. Ethan wasn't the young kid who expected anything and everything to come right now. They could grow into it, and Ethan would give Chris time. That's what forgiveness was right? In a way, maybe the blond-haired man wasn't great at forgiveness but this would be a pretty good time to start.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang. At the sound, Ethan became keenly aware of every item of clothing on his body. He suddenly wondered if the T-shirt jeans and flannel were a bad idea after all. Maybe Chris had an aversion to lumberjacks? There's no more time for Ethan to dwell on the choice, though. Chris was already here.

The tall black man was leaning against the doorway when Ethan open the door. The short man reached out to pull Chris into a hug but paused when soft petals hit his neck.

"You brought flowers?" Ethan asked incredulously looking down in shock at the small bouquet filled with blue and yellow flowers. The bright yellow sunflowers and blue hyacinths contrasted beautifully in one of the most unusual bouquets he had ever seen. It took effort for Ethan to draw his eyes away from the display to look at Chris again.

"I-We," Ethan stuttered, chuckling softly at his own reaction. "You've never brought me flowers before."

Chris shrugged instead of explaining and Ethan was forced just to accept the flowers with a bewildered smile. He just had to wonder why his boyfriend decided to bring them. Was it a romantic gesture? Or was it an apology? He looked up at Chris again trying to gauge the answer on his own. But even without confirmation, that idea was enough to bring a smile to his face. Ethan stepped through the doorway, smiling widely. When Chris didn't immediately follow, he turned to tug his wrist with his free hand.

"What are we waiting for? We have a date to get to!"

—————

A low-pitched snort left Ethan's mouth when his back hit an elevator button, creating a small ding. Chris had pushed him up against the wall as they were kissing and his already bubbly mood made the situation even funnier. Ethan was glad he stayed optimistic about their date because it may have been his favorite so far. A relaxed dinner downtown before taking a walk through the city had been even better than he imagined. Not to mention, speaking with Chris was easier than ever before. He could hardly fathom being angry with the man when all he wanted to do was be around him. Chris doted on him ceaselessly, even when Ethan dropped his beautiful bouquet right at their feet less than half an hour after they left his apartment building. It was just impossible to be mad today. It was warm for a fall day in Toronto, the sky looked gorgeous, and everything felt just right. It was like the city had crafted itself specifically for the two of them to enjoy one another. It only made sense that they came clambering back to Ethan's place, rushing to get to his bedroom. Chris kissed Ethan with an eye open now, checking to see which button they pressed.