Part 2: Chapter 55

Chapter 55: He Loves Control

Jung-hae was surprised when Chris pulled her aside first thing in the morning. He never had talks with people, finding it easier to address their faults through indirect comments and emphasis on when they did it right on their own. She'd never heard of him pulling a team member aside, yet that is what he was doing today. He'd barely said good morning to the team and checked up on their daily assignments before telling her in a cold voice, "I need to speak to you in room 5."

Now alone with him in the small meeting room, sitting around a small circular table, she was growing anxious. Chris had his hands crossed on his lap, staring down at the linked fingers thoughtfully. His loud hum broke through the silence.

"You're a great employee, Jung-hae."

It was a statement. No room for argument or confusion. Jung-hae felt bashful and smiled almost shyly.

"Thank you."

"I wanted to make that clear before I said anything else."

And the dread returned. Was he firing her? The company did not have enough funds and she was the unlucky one being cut? As if sensing her distress, Chris finally met her eyes, allowing the woman across from him to see how conflicted he was.

"I've been your team lead for nearly a year. Most of that time I was worried sick that I would mess up. But my problem wasn't doing my job poorly. It was letting you do my job for me."

Chris leaned forward, elbows against the table as he placed his chin on his linked hands.

"Jung-hae, I don't mean this in a rude way, but I don't need your help. You do not need to lead discussions or check up on your peers for me. What I need you to do is continue to be the hard worker that I see every day. When it is time for you to lead the discussions and check up on employees, I will be the first one to recommend you for the job."

Jung-hae would be lying if she said that she wasn't slightly embarrassed. Her acts of pro-activity have been making her boss uncomfortable for months. To the point that he felt in necessary to pull her aside. She wrung her hands together, finding it hard to look Chris in the eye.

"Chris, I swear I didn't mean to offend you."

The large "pshh" sound from Chris's mouth cut through the tension as he waved his hand flippantly in the air.

"As I said, Jung-hae, I have the utmost respect for you. Which is why I wanted to tell you properly instead of leaving you to figure it out."

Jung-hae stood up first, reaching out to shake Chris's hand. Albeit a bit formal, Chris understood the thought behind the gesture and shook her hand in earnest. As Jung-hae left the room, Chris thought about how easy that was. He had been dreading that conversation for months. In his mind, he always expected that Jung-hae found him irresponsible or underqualified. Why else would she impose on his job? But she sincerely seemed shocked that Chris saw it as over-stepping. Could she have figured out the lines she was crossing on her own? Maybe. But the idea that was sincerely trying to 'upstage him' turned out to be completely false. And everything was handled once Chris took control.

The fight with Ethan the previous night had rattled him. He was left feeling anxious, a little angry, and severely out of control. It didn't formulate in his mind until he was saying the words how he felt. He'd always felt out of control. In his work life, in his family, and in his relationship. Somehow, Ethan was the only one who got the heat for it. But it wasn't just him.

Chris spent his entire life being told how to live and remained quiet instead of fighting for it. Now, he'd fought. He gained his control back. He told Jung-hae how he felt and just like that, he saw hope for creating the office life that he wanted. It was freeing. He felt relieved.