Chapter 147 - What Happened Pt. 2

Am I sick or what? Why am I so forgetful these days? I should probably visit Doctor Haudie later and ask why am I like this. Maybe he knows something...

Anyway, as I chewed on my food, my eyes strolled towards the envelope in my bed.

'Oh yeah, I did ask for Estelle's information...'

Kuro was napping at my side like the baby he is but I don't mind it. He never really has to eat so I don't need to worry if he's hungry or not.

"Hmm..."

I finished eating first so I could focus on reading what's inside of the envelope later. The food was good and definitely filled my gurgling stomach. I felt happy when I was done so I then stretched my body like I'm a satisfied cat under the sun.

"The bath is ready, milady,"

"Okay.."

This time, I didn't fall asleep. That would be abnormal if I did do that again so I am quite thankful that I did not because it means I am still a functioning being.

Now, I'm currently lounging on my balcony and was ready to know what's the report all about. I pulled it out of the envelope and marveled at how thick the files were. I sifted through it first, wanting to see what was in the documents, and found out that it was filled with a thorough background search about Estelle. I wasn't expecting it to be this extensive but wow...

At least, the gold coins I paid were definitely worth it.

I spent a solid hour going through it and oh boy, I learned a lot! I finally understood why those brats kept bringing up the criminal thingy. Estelle's entire background was so complicated that I was even feeling weird after reading all of it.

Count Forester is a businessman but got accused of pocketing funds and taxes so he was not doing well these days. Even though he still has a few businesses, it wasn't doing that good to him. All of them are on the verge of bankruptcy. Maybe a year or even less than that, they would all finally fail.

Anyway, it seems that it was only a baseless accusation from his competitors. It still hurt his reputation nonetheless and now, almost everyone is calling him a criminal.

That's tough. The countess, on the other hand, had died when Estelle was still so young. The father did not remarry for some reason-- that was what the file says. To me though, maybe her father loves his wife enough that he is willing to die alone or something like that.

The real shocker here is apparently, Estelle's brother, Gavin, is a full-fledged criminal. He was sentenced to a year of imprisonment after assaulting someone in a bar and also for damaging properties. It was stated here that he beat the guy so bad that he was on the brink of death.

The reason was that the guy looked at him funny.

I sat there and sipped my tea. What the hell. Why would you beat a person to death just because they looked at you? That's some psychotic behavior right there, you know!

That was also one of the factors why the Forester household is going downhill. There was just no one there to back them up, even the Count's friends had bailed on him. Few of their relatives had also cast them away, fearing that they too would face misfortunes if they associated with them more.

I feel bad when I think about it. This is why Estelle sought the help of others so she could regain the glory of their family back.

Estelle's life is none of my business but I couldn't help but feel sympathetic. That woman has it hard. Facing the brunt of mockery and scorn from the nobility, even becoming a subject of bullying... It's really unpleasant.

I have experienced being bullied myself so I know how it feels. But then, I had also promised myself that I would never try to meddle with her own affairs again. But I also can't help but feel restless.

"Seriously... I feel bad," I mumbled and let out a sigh.

Now I kinda regret why I had her investigated. Having to know her current situation is making me want to do something impulsive like helping her on a whim. But if I did that, I'm just going to jeopardize her future more. It's currently off the tracks right now which I think is definitely my fault.

I sighed for the second time that day. My maids were looking at me curiously but as they perceive that I'm lost in my own world, they didn't bother me.

I set the file aside and stared at the garden below, mind whirring with all kinds of thoughts. I was also trying to reminisce about what happened last night with difficulty and after a great deal of effort, it finally returned to me piece by piece.

Right. There was that sudden appearance of the queen which I have no idea that she exists. Why have I not heard of her? Or read about her? It truly surprised me when she came to the royal hall out of the blue. And it looked like I was the only one who had no clue.

Afterward, there was that explosion that Ezekiel claimed as a failed fireworks display. It's so obvious that he was lying for the sake of the nobility but now that he lied, I got extremely curious. I wonder what was that?

'Maybe I should ask my brother about the explosion and the Queen...'

Yep. Let us do that. He might know something because both he and father stayed in the palace after all.

I placed the cup back on the table and stood up. I was going to find my brother.

"Do you know where my brother is at the moment?" I asked my maids.

"Sir Nathaniel is in the palace, milady. He left early this morning with the Marquis," Freesia answered.

"Ohh..." I muttered, feeling disappointed.

It seems that I need to wait until they get home to ask him for it but my curiosity is eating at me. I chewed my lower lip and thought for a moment. The thing about the queen wasn't stated in any books here in the manor's library but maybe the people here know.

I sat down again and looked at the five of them.

"Do you guys know about the Queen?" I asked.

All of them blinked at me as if they were not expecting that question at all. Lily and Amy were furrowing their brows as they think, while the rest remained unperturbed.

"Queen?" Amy whispered.

She doesn't know. I could tell already.

"Do you mean, Queen Regina, milady?" Erin then responded.

My eyes sparkled in an instant.

"Yes! Her! Can you tell me something about Queen Regina? I have never heard about the Rosenthal Empire having a queen before," was my honest confession to them.

"Well, I don't know about the whole thing but it was certainly a hot topic," Erin added.

"Yeah, I also heard of that," Mari seconded.

I stared at the two of them, "What topic?"

Erin hesitated for a moment but upon seeing my expectant eyes, she succumbed.

"Queen Regina was supposed to be the Empress."