Chapter 155: Visitors pt. 1

"Welcome, dear guests."

The three of us turned towards the person who spoke out of the blue, almost giving us a heart attack. There, standing behind the wooden counter, was a woman. She was wearing a serene smile that made her look young and beautiful.

We then blinked at the same time and after gaining back our composure, returned her greeting.

"Good evening..."

The woman looked at us, "Can I help you in any way?"

Gwen politely turned down her offer.

"I'll just look around first."

"Me too..." Bea meekly seconded.

Both of them then went together to look around as they said. That leaves me and the shop owner.

"How about the miss? Any book you fancy? A genre? The author you like perhaps?" She fired on.

I was overwhelmed by her tirade of questions that I was a little taken aback.

I was a little skeptical to turn her down as well. I mean, she's being friendly and I don't want to let her efforts go to waste.

"Well, uhm... Then can you recommend something to me? A novel..." I answered afterward.

The woman's smile widened and without missing a beat, rained more queries on me.

"Can I ask what genre do you lean on? Fantasy? Romance? Adventure? All of the above?" A mischievous glint flashed in her eyes but I didn't catch it in time– " Oh! I think the miss will like this," she added and bent down to retrieve something.

A book was then placed on top of the counter. I picked it up and looked at it. The cover was hardbound, gold in color, and looked pleasing to the eyes. For some reason though, the book seemed familiar to me.

"This is...?" I muttered.

"It's a novel from a rising new author. She writes plenty of fantasy stories that young ladies such as you like. It's a transmigration story." She replied good-naturedly and flat-out revealed what it was about.

After hearing her though, my soul almost left my body from the surprise.

'T-transmigration story?!'

"That one is her newest creation and I only have that left," she added.

She truly is a shop owner, alright... Sales pitching at its finest!

I gazed at the book for a while and back to her bright face.

Well, it wouldn't hurt me anyway. Also, I have not read anything for a while so might as well just buy it. And what's more, it's a transmigration story that I'm familiar with... This is kind of...

"I'll take this then..." I declared without hesitation.

"Excellent!"

After paying three silvers for the book in my hand, the three of us then decided to leave. Bea and Gwen didn't buy anything because they are not much into novels like me anyway. Also, they must have no time for leisure when they are too busy with their current lessons.

As we opened the door to leave, the woman smiled warmly and waved us goodbye.

—**

After the door closed, a sleek black cat jumped over the counter gracefully and sat. It started licking its paws and looked at the woman in front of it.

"Do you sense it too, Luna? It wouldn't be too long now before it happens... How interesting would it be?" Her eyes were sparkling like stars as she spoke, seemingly thrilled.

As she stroked the fur of the little feline who purred under her touch, her lips twitched into a pleased smile. The cat only meowed in response and rubbed itself on her hand lovingly.

A cloaked figure then materialized at the side but she didn't bother looking up and continued what she had been doing. It was as if she already anticipated that someone's arrival.

The cloaked man saluted, "Greetings to Mistress..."

The woman throws him a glance and hummed.

"Hmm... It's time huh..."

The cloaked figure sighed in disappointment, "It's really unfair that the mistress doesn't get surprised with things. And here I thought..."

"You thought what? You're too dumb to do that," Another figure appeared but this one didn't bother to hide his appearance at all. Seeing that the place is currently deserted except for the three of them, he didn't bother anymore.

"You– Tch." The other figure clicked his tongue in indignation but didn't refute it.

Even if he did, it would only be futile for this bastard anyway.

"My mistress, I came bearing the news that you already know," he announced.

The woman who was only listening to their banter earlier chuckled in amusement.

"Indeed."

"Then I will implore the mistress for her next order."

The man glanced at the little black cat and frowned mentally.

'This brat is really lucky... Being pampered by mistress like this...'

"Continue watching for now and don't do anything. It's more fun to watch everything unfold, isn't so?" The woman grinned and stared at the empty space, appearing to be absent-minded.

As usual, their mistress said something similar again. 'Don't do anything.' Hasn't it always been like that? Even so, the two didn't question it and took the order to heart.

The figure who had arrived later looked around, his long flaming red hair rustled with his movement, and gazed at his mistress afterward.

"That guy went here too? I could still sense his magic, though faintly. Heh. Is he growing weaker?"

The cloaked figure also noticed it by then and thought for a moment.

"He did it again, didn't he? He tried to reconstruct the mistress's shop again."

The cat swished its tail and looked at the two figures standing at the side and growled lowly in its throat.

"That guy really won't stop being so fussy until he's satisfied," he added.

"I can understand him a little though. The mistress' dwelling should be grander than this but if this is what the mistress wants, then I will not say anything anymore." The other remarked.

"But that guy won't ever give up," the one with the cloak noted.

Every single time, no matter where it is, or what timeline they are currently in, he always gets so meticulous when it comes to where the mistress' stays. How many times did that guy go all out to transform everything into his taste? Whether it's a bookshop or a simple inn, he would turn it into something that fits a royal.

This time could be no different too. He might have turned this shop into a luxurious place where everything is gilded in gold. It's not impossible at all, knowing him.

"Did he also ask the mistress to relocate to the Arcane Tower too?"

"I bet he did. When did he not?"

"Good point."

The Arcane Tower. It was built entirely for one purpose, to be the mistress's abode. That man designed it to be as tall as possible to the point that it looked like it's reaching the sky. But after a long time had passed, the tower became an archive instead.

The three entities inside the bookshop perked up when they sensed something. Both of the newcomers then vanished out of thin air, as if they were never there, just before the door to the shop opened. It welcomed a petite young woman in common clothes who smiled as soon as she got inside.

"Good evening, Nine!" Estelle greeted.

Nine watched her approach the counter she was in with a smile on her own, still stroking the cat. Estelle then dropped the things she was carrying on top of it.

"I brought food!"