Chapter 48

Reine Parker

Stepping out of the shower, I walked towards the closet, picking out a set of clothes that was suitable for the first day of my internship. I had picked out a white collar blouse and a black formal tailored trousers. Basic wear for the first day until I am familiar enough to wear other type of clothing. 

Originally, I wanted to wear a pair of formal shoes as well, but after considering twice, I opted for a pair of sneakers since I believe that the day would not be so calm and peaceful, especially that it was a well-known hospital. All the more I should prepare myself for the worst and the least I can do is to make myself walk in something comfortable. 

After getting dressed, I headed for the stairs for breakfast before heading off for my work. What surprised me was the scene that was displayed in front of me. 

The Romano brothers were all sprawled out in the kitchen, fumbling around with various kitchen appliances, yelling profanities at the things that they were doing, and last but not least the mess that was on the kitchen counter. 

Just what the heck are they trying to do? Burn down the house? Kill all of us?

As if on cue, Elijah turned around and spotted me, who was awkwardly standing in the middle of the stairs, and gestured me over to the dining table. It was only then I realised that Roman was in the kitchen too, who was in a cursing battle with Lorenzo. 

Elijah and Mateo served up two plates of breakfast in front of me, one plate had some burnt toasts with scrambled eggs, while the other had fried eggs with broken pieces of ham. I tilt my head slightly at the meal, expecting them to say something or at least inform me what was going on. 

That was when Alexander stepped forward and answered to my confusion, "We heard that today is your first day of internship at the hospital. There's nothing we can do for you besides making breakfast, but we sort of screwed up the whole thing." The hand by his side peeled the side of his thumb, a habit that he would do when he was nervous, as he waited for my response. 

I had to blink twice, in order to confirm that what I was seeing in front of me was real, not an illusion. Because given the past, never would they be doing such things. A cup of hot chocolate was placed right in front of me this time. Roman rolled his eyes at the guys, then grumbled, "Fucking bastards, I shouldn't have said that it was your first day today. I was going to make breakfast but they just went ahead and snatched my idea. But I made this." 

A chuckle left my mouth unexpectedly. This was the least expected way for me to start off the morning. 

Looking at the plates of breakfast, I assumed that the scrambled eggs was done by Lorenzo, given that he was the only one who knew how to cook out of them all. A wave of warmth pulled at my heart string, as though telling me to show my appreciation. Do I really want to?

"Thank you, for the breakfast." I muttered, as smiles and grins formed on their sweaty faces. Ari then entered the living room, and placed a small charm on the table.

"I made this last night. It's a lucky charm, and it will make sure it brings nothing but good luck to you." She beamed, as I picked up the charm and admired it. 

"It's beautiful, thank you." I smiled, as I kept the charm within the inner pockets of my bag. 

As I took a bite of the breakfast they made, they looked at me nervously as though they were some contestants, ready to listen feedbacks on the dish. 

"It's...edible. Especially the scrambled eggs." I commented, noticing that Lorenzo could not stop looking at me. I had always loved his cooking since young, because it tasted so good besides the dishes that Missus Dai cooked. He would always come up with surprise dishes for both me and Ari to try, and we always had fun doing so. Having to eat the food that he cooked felt nostalgic. 

"Do you need a ride to the hospital?" Mateo asked suddenly, as I stopped eating, only to find him looking at me expectantly, hoping that I would say yes to his question. 

"It's okay, Roman will be sending me there." I politely declined, as Roman and I had previously agreed on him giving me a lift on my first day. Mateo nodded lightly, not making any other comments.

Looking at the time on my watch, I stood up from the table and looked at Roman, who was already dressed up and ready to go. Ari came up and gave me a small hug, wishing me good luck for my first day. 

Upon arriving at the entrance of the hospital, I exhaled deeply as I pushed open the car door, getting myself out of the car. 

"You will be fine, don't be nervous. You're Reine Parker, so there will be nothing that can faze you, understand?" Roman encouraged, as I nodded my head firmly, agreeing with his words. I will do fine. 

We shot a smile to each other as I bade farewell to him, and stepped into the hospital. 

One step closer to my dream.

updated! kind of disappointed in this chapter because it feels like a filler because I'm rushing a little because of all the piling assignments but at the same time I want to do a update as well NWSJNWSJNWSNW

hopefully this weekend I will be able to clear up my schedule a little and maybe a double update???? HMMM 

Happy reading! -25/10/2022