Carrying On

Bilbo shivered as he stood in the large throne room in what he discovered to be the fortress of Utumno, standing before Morgoth's throne.

The vala stared at his crown, which he held in his hands, staring at the three gems as if entranced.

"Master." A familiar voice greeted from behind the hobbit, and the sight of the redheaded Sauron is what he saw when he turned around

He got no response, Melkor continuing to stare at his crown unmoving as he had been.

Sauron sighed softly and passed Bilbo, kneeling at the First Dark Lord's feet, "Master, it has been weeks since you started staring at the Simarils, I have much to report."

Still, the Great Foe said nothing, so Mairon did not move.

To both the maia and hobbit's surprise, they watched as a lone tear slipped from the vala's coal eyes, rolling down his cheek and landing on the gem in the center of his iron crown.

The sight of his tear hitting the Silmaril, showing him his own reflection, is what broke the vala from his trance.

Putting the crown back on, he used a now free hand to cup Mairon's face, "How long have you been here, flame?"

"Not long, master." The maia replied, leaning into his touch

Melkor chuckled, kissing him briefly, "You cannot help but submit to me can you, dear? You would have been wasted in Aulë's forges."

"Yes, I belong here at your feet," Sauron agreed, looking at the other Ainur in what could be described as reverently -Bilbo gulped when he realized he had caught said maia looking at him in that way several times, "as your most faithful servant."

"Perhaps more, one day, if you prove yourself." Morgoth mused

The memory paused, a voice from behind Bilbo saying, "He was always able to convince me that he would marry me one day, even if the rational part of my mind knew he never would."

Bilbo turned and saw present-day Sauron, "I'm glad he did not marry you."

"As am I." Mairon agreed, "Since it freed me not only to be with you now but to be free of him eternally. When Morgoth was defeated, it was as if a great, clenched fist had released its grip from my neck, even if I did not initially realize it."

***

Bilbo walked through Barad-dûr towards his greenhouse, wanting the faunts to get some time with nature, well aware of the Nazgûl Sisters trailing them.

He had gotten used to the eerie feelings their presence caused, it was one of Sauron's conditions for him to leave his quarters after all, but Frodo and Sam were clearly uncomfortable but were too polite to say anything.

When they passed the market, the older hobbit heard the whispering around him -people recognizing him from all the times he had accompanied Sauron in town- but did not react to them, he was used to others gossip after living as a bachelor in Hobbiton with his Took blood and strange tastes.

Opening the door to the townhouse, the younger hobbits slipped inside but Bilbo dawdled outside momentarily, glancing up at the flaming eye at the summit of the tower.

The door then closed just as quickly, leaving the two wraiths outside to stand guard.

***

The new routine, despite being strange initially, fell into monotony in the following weeks.

The three hobbits would have breakfast together with the maia -who would leave a bit before second breakfast-, some days Bilbo would leave with Sauron outside the safety of Barad-dûr, other days he would take Frodo and Sam to the greenhouse where Mairon joined every great while, then when they returned to the copy of Bag End they would have quiet time until the Dark Lord joined them for dinner.

It was so very domestic, Frodo and Sam adapted to their new routines as quickly as Bilbo had.

Though Bilbo was facing a dilema on his own: his morals fighting with his head over the contents of his heart.

When did he stop thinking of Mairon as Sauron first and Mairon second? When did he stop feeling disturbed by the Dark Lord's affections? When did he start responding to his flirting?

He was so deep into his thoughts that he did not intially see the shadow cast over him as he tended to his flowers in the greenhouse.

But when he did, he assumed it was just Sauron, "I did not know you were joining us today, Mairon."

But when he got no reply, he turned around, he saw a human man holding an orc sword in his left hand.

His clothing was tattered, but he could make out the white tree of Gondor on what remained of his tunic.

"Die whore!" The soldier scowled, trying to take a swing at him

Bilbo ducked, shouting for the Nazgûl he knew were outside the nearby door, "Yuka! Riya!"

The two Ringwraiths immedaitely entered, taking down the attacker almost pitifully easily, throwing their chained sickles at him.

The chains wrapped around his neck and the wrist of his left hand, and when they pulled back it not only spun him but pulled off his headt.

Riya -or was it Yuka? Bilbo was embarrassed to admit that he could not tell the difference between the pair yet when their armour was identical and their voices on the rare occassions they spoke were too distorted to pick up on the distinctions yet- dragged the corpse out while Yuka? nodded as to say he was safe now, picked up the forgotten head and followed her sister out.

The hobbit looked around the room, grateful Frodo and Sam had not witessed the attack nor subsequent execution.

He still went upstairs to check on them of course, finidng them engrossed in a game of checkers.

***

When they returned to the tower, Bilbo barely sat down in his armchair when the Dark Lord entered.

He went towards Bilbo immediately, cupping his face, "I was told what happened, are you hurt, precious?"

The writer shook his head, "No, I am not hurt. The sisters did their job well."

"Good, I do not know what I would do if I lost you." Mairon said, pressing his lips to Bilbo's forehead, "I am increasing your security."

"Please do not." Bilbo asked, "Two of the Nine are already too much, I do not want to waste their time when I am sure they have other responsiblities."

"They do not mind." Sauron assured, "Your safety is of the highest importance over anything else I could have them do."