276: For me?

Chapter 276: For me?

In another room was Hinata, who was sitting on a bed with her gaze blurry as she looked down at the ground.

"...Are you alright, Hinata nee-chan?" Hanabi softly asked from beside her, reaching out a hand to rest on her thigh. "I... know their apologies don't mean anything at this point, but you can't do anything to them."

Hinata's dry eyes moved to look at Hanabi whose face showed her worry. That made Hinata sigh softly. At least her sister still cared.

"Hanabi," Hinata said, her voice lacking any emotion at all. "At first I thought this was all an accident, but that woman... Kiana. She admitted that she had killed Naruto with her power. How can I forgive her after that..."

Hinata had confronted the two maid women earlier. After a lot of yelling and threatening to attack them, Hinata couldn't feel anything more after hearing their responses to her questions. Nemuri Kayama was an accomplice, but she wasn't the main player in this. It was Kiana, the woman with multi-coloured hair.

Kiana accepted that it was all her plan to kill Naruto, and also admitted what her end goal was— to hurt or maybe even kill Neji. They failed of course, stopped by Neji, but for some weird reason Neji didn't obliterate them despite the murder attempt.

That made Neji's image... cloudy in Hinata's mind. Confusing. She couldn't blame him any longer. After all, he hadn't killed them even though they tried to kill him, so it would be weird to expect him to punish them after they killed Naruto. Neji seemed... distant to her now. Hinata couldn't understand a thing about him anymore.

–Knock Knock

Right then knocks fell on the door and Hinata already knew who it was. She didn't reply though, but Hanabi did after a short silence.

"Come in."

Neji walked in, closing the door behind him and looking at them– at her– and then sighing.

"Your mother wanted to come but I told her to stay put for now because her presence wouldn't help much." Neji said, looking at Hinata. "But I will send her here after I am done."

"...Done with what?" Hinata looked up, her eyes dry as they met with his. "What is the point of anything at this point? Neji-nii, I don't even feel like I know you anymore."

After a short moment of Neji's silence, Hinata grit her teeth and looked at him. "Why couldn't I find Naruto in the heaven you made below? Please don't tell me a guy like him ended up in hell?"

Neji smiled. "I don't have a hell yet. As for why he's not here. Well, two reasons. First, the technique I used to bring the souls could only bring the souls who had died less than 24 hours ago. The Nine-Tailed Beasts' incident happened 10 days ago. Second reason, Naruto isn't dead."

Hinata's whole body paused, her eyes widening as she looked at him as if looking at a ghost.

"I suppose Hanabi didn't tell you because you'll ask for proof and even she doesn't have any proof other than my word," Neji said. "You know, I love how she trusted me instantly without any proof unlike you, but that's understandable." Neji snapped his finger as a screen appeared midair. "This is a scene that one of my clones is seeing with their eyes. A real-time live footage."

On the screen, the scene of Naruto Uzumaki standing beside an orange-masked man played out. The two of them were on top of a tree, looking down at a scene of their own where Sasuke Uchiha was fighting Itachi Uchiha, the latter's body burnt badly even as he strolled forward, putting a finger on Sasuke's forehead before he smiled and collapsed on the floor, dead.