Misgendering - Blarg × NB!Reader

(I'm doing AFAB as it's more likely to be mistaken than AMAB, from personal experience)Non-Binary with They/Them Pronouns

Non-Binary with They/Them Pronouns

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

"Matt!" you call his name from the living room, your body resting along the white cotton-covered cushions and your legs up. The clock on the wall ticked closer to 5pm, the time you begin your stream tonight. You especially want to stick to the time, since this one is a special occasion - your boyfriend was joining you to react to some memes, and to start a Pokémon save together. However, at this rate you would not be able to get up at all, with a fluffy black cat resting on your legs that were covered by black pyjama bottoms. You sigh, running your hand over his body, purrs echoing from his body. A man enters the room, and starts to chuckle as he witnessed your situation, you shoot him a dirty look to encourage him to offer his assistance.

"Alright, come on, Doug," he chirps, lifting the large cat off of you. He places him down on the floor as you jump out of the seat, "I would have been stuck there for the rest of the night. You know I hate disturbing him,"
"He doesn't mind if you do, he won't hate you."
"Yeah I knowwww," you drag out, heading towards the kitchen. You pull a glass out of the cupboard, hearing the man follow you, and you turn the tap on to fill it with water, "So, what kinda memes do you wanna watch?" you take a sip, waiting for his answer.
"Offensive. This is me you're asking," he exaggerates the 'me', and your response was pure laughter.
"Alright, I'll find some, meet you up there." and with that comment, you leave the kitchen and rush up the stairs, keeping an eye on the glass of water in your hand.

Switching your computer on, you spin back and forth in your office chair, throwing your phone between your hands in attempt to avoid boredom. 4:46pm, and your computer had only just been turned on. Clicking furiously on different applications, you swiftly set everything up correctly, checking the camera and microphone, ensuring your Streamdeck was working, hunting for meme videos to watch through. Matt strides in, rolling his chair in to sit next to you: his eyes following your mouse as you hastily click around. Ready at 4:58pm, you take a deep breath to calm your nerves as streaming can be difficult for you.

You are open about your gender identity - your pronouns in every social media bio that you have - but some people do not bother to use them. What makes it worse is that you are more susceptible to trolling, due to the vast amount of transphobia spread across the Internet: everytime you go live, you ensure that majority of your moderators are available, and at least one of your close friends are too. Thankfully, you have the best person to help with you by your side, your partner. He was accepting as soon as he found out; he needed help getting used to it, sure, but he had pure determination.

Switching the stream on, you put it on an overlay while people begin joining, taking a sip of water quickly. He shoots you a reassuring glance, wrapping his arm over your shoulders and pulling you in for a second, before you turn the overlay off and start talking to chat.
"Hey chat! Welcome in, we've got Blarg with us today!"
"Wooo! Matt time!" he exclaims, causing you chuckle. He grins as you keep reading through chat. Subscriptions and Donations flying in.
"'What are we doing?' We are thinking of reacting to some offensive memes, requested by Matt, and I've found a couple of videos for thaaaat," pause, "and then we'll be playing some Pokémon later!" you respond to a chat as you continue swinging back and forth in your chair.

Switching the stream to show your screen and flicking on the face cam in the bottom left corner, you double-check that everything is ready. "Say hello to YouTube, chat!" you chirp, which fills the messages up with greetings to the YouTube watchers. Starting the first video, you watch through, laughing at jokes you probably should not laugh at, but you do anyway. You keep a brief eye on chat as it swoops by, but nothing really catches your eye. Closing your eyes for two seconds, you sigh with relief, before returning to your normal state: everybody is having a good time, which has always been a large worry of yoursm

Finishing the final video, you burst into laughter as the last clip ends, him joining you simultaneously, the chat filling up with 'KEKW's. "Right, I'll be right back, just need to do something," Matt comments, sliding off his chair and out of the room. You don't question it, as you turn on your Switch and connect it to your computer. Logging onto your account and pressing onto Pokémon Scarlet, he returns by swinging the door open, flinging it shut and strutting to the chair. "Feeling dramatic today?"
"Always," he chuckles out, "I get too excited to play this game that the energy gets to me."
You smirk, lowering your voice so the microphone can't hear, "You're adorable." He nugdes you jokingly, laughing lightly. You wink at him with the eye that the stream can't see, before returning to the monitor.

"Matt, how are we customising this?" you ask, switching between each present face using the left joystick.
"You, of course. It's your save." He responds, pointing to the top left icon. Clicking it, the whole customising menu appears, and you get to work ensuring it was as close to you as possible. Cheerily clicking through the list, Matt watches with joy, as well as managing the chat. Half way through, you notice Matt's expression switch from excited to irked. You turn to him, confusion on your face, as you watch his next actions, adjusting himself to be closer to the camera.

"Hey, all of you in chat, be quiet. Y/N can pick whatever preset body they like, and I do not want to see anymore of this 'but you're a female' in the chat. They are not a female, and if you can't get that in your head then you can leave." He leans back, and you pause, eyes still locked onto him. You could feel tears forming in your eyes, terrfied but pleased, however you knew you had to stay composed and continue the stream.

A few hours passed, and the stream was over. 10:21pm. You sigh, sliding your headphones off and rising from the seat, grabbing your drink as you rise. Starting to leave the room, Matt interrupts your actions, grasping onto your hand. "Y/N?" you begin tearing up, trying to face away from him so he doesn't see, "I'm sorry if I crossed a boundary, I wanted to defen-" His words were disrupted by a sniff from your nose, an instant indication that you were crying. He rushes out of his seat, pulling you into a deep embrace, "Let it all out, it's alright," he mumbles to you, rubbing his hand up and down your back. Soaking his shoulder with your tears, your grip around him tightened as the emotions got to you. "Th-thank you, Matt..."

"Anytime, Y/N. Now, do you want a hot chocolate? I can make you one before bed to cheer you up a little."

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈