Chapter 64

July 3:

Sneha successfully came out of the back door of the marriage hall. The small bag dangled on her right shoulder as she tried to make the slightest sound possible. The backside of the building was vacant, except for the two guards who were asked by her father to meet him briefly.

Miraculously, she exited the huge guarded premises with success. And, now with each step, her heart thumped less in fear and more in happiness.

'I made it.  I made it.' She consoled herself and pushed herself in the direction of the bus stop that she had seen when she came here in the car. It wasn't too far but not too near as well. She was sure that she would be far gone by the time the people gathered in the hall would know about her absence.

However, she was only 50 metres away from the main gate when a sleek black car stopped in front of her. Thinking of it to be a random car, she tried to run from behind it.  But, at that moment, the door opened and a man stepped out.

Looking up, she could swear that her heartbeat had stopped.

How is it possible? Why is he here? All sorts of negative feelings surfaced in her mind. 

"Viraj." She whispered in fear and disbelief.

In response, he only smiled.

Stepping closer to her, he first looked at his beautiful bride from top to bottom...appreciating every single part of her, and then met her eyes again.

"Cold feet?" He asked as they stood facing each other.

Sneha could literally feel her legs shivering at what is going to happen to her now. The tears made an appearance slowly.

She gulped hard before replying.

"Viraj...I..." She didn't know what to say! She was caught running away from her own marriage, for God's sake!

Sensing her dilemma, he gently smiled and cornered a hair strand that had come out while her active running.

"Even I had second thoughts when I was coming here...with all my friends and relatives. It is something, I guess, natural to feel...scared at your own wedding. But, aren't you taking it too far? Running away, seriously?" Viraj chuckled...still not understanding the severity of the scene.

She looked up at him and pursed her lips. She knew it was time for her to tell him the truth. The lies that she had cooked up in the past six months needed to come to an end, now. Because, if she continued lying, she will end up getting married to him!

"Viraj...We...I can't marry you...I am so sorry..." She managed to speak in between her cries. It was getting difficult for her to stand as her legs had started shivering so badly. She had no idea what Viraj's father would do once he got to know about all this!

Viraj sighed and held both of her arms gently.

"Sneha...You are thinking too much! I get that you are scared and all, but...we love each other." He tried to console her with a smile but she interrupted him by freeing her hands, rather harshly.

"NO, Viraj! We don't love each other!" She said loudly while her voice shivered.

Viraj's brows furrowed deeply at her act. It was difficult for him to understand why she was behaving like this.

Looking behind him, he gestured to his armed guards to give them some privacy. Within seconds, they were alone.

"Now, tell me...What is going on in your mind? Why are you behaving like this? Did anyone say anything to you?" He asked gently yet firmly.