Chapter 34

I slept for a while and laid in bed basically all day. I had taken a bath a while ago and changed into my nightgown and that was the only time I had gotten up.

Now, however, I was stationed back in bed sitting crisscrossed with a cup of green tea in my lap. It was true that tea was never my thing, but I caught on, specifically to green tea.

Chelsea and Karen sat in the lounging area making a new dress. I couldn't exactly see what the dress looked like because the lounging area was practically in another room.

I also finished my book, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and called for my maids to come entertain me in a whining matter.

"What's going on, Lady Emily?" Chelsea asked as she crawled under the canopy and sat at the edge of the bed.

"Nothing," I said with a serious look.

She laughed and then asked, "How are you feeling now? Your leg?"

"Eh, I'm still sore," I said looking down at my thigh.

"It'll heal. And your bruises? How do they feel?"

"Alright, I guess. I don't really feel them," I lied a bit.

I did feel them, and they hurt, but not as much as my thigh which needed more attention.

"Understandable," she said shrugging.

I looked away to Karen who was answering the door. I didn't even hear anyone knock, but inside the door frame Ryan stood happily.

"May I come in?" He asked.

Karen curtsied and then turned to me, "Lady Emily, Prince Ryan is here."

"Don't let him in," I said softly to Chelsea, "I don't want any visitors."

Chelsea nodded and stood up.

"Your majesty, Lady Emily is still healing and is trying to rest right now... is there a chance you can stop by at a later time?" Chelsea asked Ryan while she rubbed her hands and gritted her teeth.

He looked at her sternly and said, "Why can't I see her? She needs me."

I saw him from the door leaning on his tiptoes to get a glimpse of me. My maids blocked his vision, however. I let out a deep sigh.

"She needs to rest, your majesty."

Ryan stared at her and then nodded saying, "Yes... alright. I understand."

He walked away.

"Why didn't you want him here?" They turned to me.

"Not in the mood to see people," I looked down.

They exchanged glances and Karen piped, "I think I should get your medicine."

She came over with the pills along with one purple one that looked much more familiar to me now.

"Antidepressants?" I looked up.

"Just... in case."

I threw most of the pills into my mouth and swallowed them with my green tea. I left the antidepressant in my hand.

"Lady Emily. Take it," Chelsea demanded.

"No," I shook my head in refusal.

"Lady Emily," Karen said sternly.

"Lady Emily, you need it. Just for now. Take it for us at least," Chelsea put the jars of medicine away.

"I don't see why I need it," I said standing up, grabbing my crutches, and then following them into the lounge room, "I am perfectly capable of controlling my own emotions. I don't need a pill to do it for me. Besides, I'm not depressed, we went over this. Are you just going to keep tricking me into thinking it will 'relieve my stress' ?"

They were sitting on a couch while they continued to work on my dress. They were using blue and purple colors to make it.

They sighed, looked at each other, and then said, "Just take the pill. It would make everything a lot easier and happier."

"What are the side effects?" I asked jokingly and I studied the bottle of pills.

They puffed out somewhat of a laugh.

"Nausea, dizziness, bleeding, must be 13 years old or older to take, in serious cases it may lead into coma or death," I read off the side of the bottle, "Are you trying to kill me?!" I shouted.

They laughed and I laughed along. Obviously the antidepressants were safe for me to take, but I would find every excuse I could not to take them.

I put the jar of antidepressants back on the shelf and swallowed the pill with a gulp of my tea.

"Hope you're happy!" I shouted and crawled back under my bed.

I rested the crutches against the side of the wall and stared at them. Maybe it's not a bad thing to stay in bed alone all week. If I did get up, I'd have to limp around on those things.

Karen came over to my bed and sat on the edge.

"Karen, why do bad things happen to good people?" I sighed.

She considered and said, "Because they do. But good things don't always happen to bad people."

"Do good things happen at all?"

She took a deep breath, "That's for you to decide, Lady Emily. Only you could make yourself happy, and if someone else happens to do that for you then it's just icing on the cake, right?"

I fidgeted with my nails and after a moment, she placed her hand on my knee.

"Listen, good things can come out of bad things. I'm in a position to believe that something good will come of this."

I studied her words as she walked away. Something good will come of this.

I ran my hand across my wound. I always knew that Jessica didn't like me, but I had no idea she would go as far as to shoot me.

Another series of knocks came on the door.

"No company!" I blurted at my maids and hid myself under the covers.

They opened the door and Ryan appeared again.

"I was thinking. I'm the Prince. I can do what I want... and I want to see her," he paused and they stared at each other, "now."

He pushed his way through and stood next to me.

"Hi," I whispered.

"Hi."

"Do you need something?"

He only pushed the canopy aside and kissed me, placing his hand behind my next and rubbing his other hand in my hair.

"That's all," he said as he let go.

We stared at each other for a moment and he turned away confidently. Without making eye contact to either of my maids, he walked out of the door proudly and closed it behind him.

My maids had nothing to say. We were all a bit confused with his sudden appearance. Just as fast as he came through the door, he walked out of it. I stared at my maids with their expressions in awe.

"What a gentleman."